Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just picked up a 1980 z1r 1000 for 500 bucks.BIke is all there needs some tlc and has not run for a year.Any info on the bike would be great BIke is black in color and has a kerker header on it Bike has 30,000 on it.Other than that its all stock. The more info the better thax.:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Are you saying you bought an 80 model new in 82? If not then I don't think you have a Z1R because I as far as I know, 1980 was the last year it was manufactured.

·
KZ Addicted (needs Help)
498 Posts
Are you saying you bought an 80 model new in 82? If not then I don't think you have a Z1R because I as far as I know, 1980 was the last year it was manufactured.
Mike you are correct that 1980 was the last year the Z1R was made, however I don't doubt that the bike was bought new in 82 and is in fact a Z1R. When they were new they didn't exactly fly out the doors, just the opposite you could hardly give them away. Many dealers had them for several years sitting unsold. Now 30 years later they bust the bank on ebay. I just saw a 78 Z1R with less than a thousand miles on it fetch $16,400.00 within the last week or so.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pictures please! Also back in 1980, Kaw revamped the KZ1000 with improvements over the old KZ900/1000 models fro the 70's. Nice bikes all around.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Yea, I was watching that same auction Andy. I wasn't aware that the Z1R had sales problems. I started looking around at bikes in late 80 right after I moved to Dallas, and finally settled on my current bike in early 81. I never saw a Z1R during that time on the streets or in a dealership or I would probably own one today. I've always liked that bike. And the GPZ's hit the dealership about 2 weeks after I bought this one so I missed out on those also. :mad:

·
KZ Addicted (needs Help)
498 Posts
Trust me on this Mike, you're better off with what you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, it was a left over that I got at a good price. It was new on the showroom floor and it indeed is a 1980 Z1R 1000 D3 (black with center fuel Cap on tank). I tell everyone that I bought the last one ever sold. I don't know for sure if that is true but I am sure that it could be. a lot of the Z1R's were put on the drag strip is what I was told. I was looking at a GPZ but went with the Z1R becasue I like the looks and the price. The Z1R I got for 3300 and the GPZ was over 4000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts