Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looks like a very helpful forum here.

I have a 1981 street bike that is great but I have had recurring problems with the turn signals over the couple of years I've had the bike. Initially, I kept burning out one rear turn signal and kept replacing it. That particular turn signal seemed to be very corroded inside and the bulb even had to be broken once to get it loose.

Now, mysteriously, the turn signals will come on faintly when activated, but do not blink. I am thinking this is some kind of short but wonder if the two problems are related. The four-way flashers work just fine. Are the turn signals and flashers on separate circuits?

Thanks for any and all help that you can provide. These are probably just newbie bikee questions, but I can use some assistance.

·
Registered
605 Posts
One thing I did when I restored my bike was I went to a local auto store and bought all new fuses, then one at a time I dropped the old fuses even if they were still "good" according to the indicator into the trash and put in all new ones, basically my bike is all new except the frame, it was just easier and made me feel better about owning a bike

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So maybe the fuses are the culprit? I will have to try that to see if it helps, thanks.

I was also thinking I may have a bare wire that is exposed somewhere that is causing a short. If that is the case, I could use electrical tape to insulate those again if there are any.

Anybody had this kind of problem with turn signals?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If the fuses don't fix the problem your wires are probably covered by plastic. In some cases the plastic melts into the wires and messes with the continuity. My dad showed me the wiggle the wire trick and break down the plastic that is interferring. Beyond that, it sounds like continuity testing time with a meter to troubleshoot a little.

Actually, before doing the continuity test, make sure you have good connections - everything is tight and you have good contact. Light (key word is light) sandpaper on metal parts for a new contact will do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most likely a bad ground

I have worked with many bikes, cars etc. in situations very similar to yours. With few exceptions most problems are bad grounds. Since your rear blinker kept burning out I suspect the front blinker was using the rear ground for its ground. Once the rear ground was not making a good enough connection the resistance would not allow enough current to heat up the bimetal (item that makes it blink).
To test this idea remove the lens form both the front and rear blinkers on the side giving the trouble. Connect jumper wires from a known good ground (engine if possible) and short to the metal base of the bulbs.
If a ground it the problem the blinkers will operate normally with the jumpers in place. If not !!! hows your electrical skills? Got a meter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts