Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1981 kawasaki ke100 without a title. I looked at the vin on the frame and it say G5-145507. Does anyone know how to get a title with only a 7 digit vin? Do I need a 17 digit vin to get a title in indiana?

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I would contact the DMV or the city/county tax office.
Also, before purchase I would have run the frame number at the local PD.

Zedder dot com is showing a frame range & a VIN range. Zedder 1981 KE100
Is it possible the motorcycle is from Canada or something?
Some places switched to the 17-digit vin after the USA made the change.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
If the DMV gives you a hard time, you could explain to them that VINs were first used in 1954 in the United States. From 1954 to 1981, there was no accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.
This comes straight from Wiki. Your bike must be one of the last ones before Kawi switched to the standardized 17 digit format.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
On the back cover of the 81-83 KZ650 FSM the USA 650H models have the 17-digit vins, but the non-USA 81-83 650D & 650Fs had the earlier type of frame number (or vin): 12 digits & beginning with KZ650. The newer style vins for the USA 81-83 650Hs begin with JKAKZEH1.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Interesting. The back cover for the KE125 indicates that Kawi switched to a 17 digit vin partway through 1981.
See image below:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 1981 kawasaki ke100 without a title. I looked at the vin on the frame and it say G5-145507. Does anyone know how to get a title with only a 7 digit vin? Do I need a 17 digit vin to get a title in indiana?
Didn't the seller give you a title? If so, the VIN on the old title should match what's on the frame, and you don't have a problem. If you didn't get a title, hopefully you have the old registration, which you can use to get a duplicate title, which you can then hopefully get the seller to sign. If you have neither, you have a problem. Registration records are not public, and are only accessible to LEO's and state and county employees with a need to know. You would need to go back to the seller. If he titled it in his name, then he can get a duplicate title, sign it over to you, and you're good. If he didn't title it in his name, then you have to hope that he still has contact information for the last registered owner, and that the last registered owner (if you can find him, and if he'll talk to you), will assist you in getting a duplicate title.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
By WKO-KZ: Interesting. The back cover for the KE125 indicates that Kawi switched to a 17 digit vin partway through 1981.

The two different numbers don't necessarily mean the change was made mid-year. It could be because the 17-digit vin wasn't used or required in some countries which still used the earlier frame number identification.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Maybe, but if factory service manuals include all models sold worldwide then this green page and my red page would indicate that no KE125's were ever produced with a 17 digit VIN until 1981. To me that indicates a mid-year shift, but we may never know for sure and you could be right.

Meanwhile we digress. Stexch01 has hit the nail on the head as far as what is important for the OP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other long shot: if the bike was never titled(maybe only used off road), then the manufacturer's statement of origin might still exist. If you can get that from the seller then you can use it to title it. The next question is if you would have to pay 40 years of personal property tax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts