Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1981 Kz440 Ltd (+images)

here's a project I am working on. I'm going to keep this an ongoing
journal of it.

1981 KZ440 LTD
~~~~~~~~~~

feb.04.2010 (purchased bike, 4k miles $500)
feb.13.2010 Vulcan 500 shocks installed, chain guard notched to fit
feb.15.2010 ordered petcock rebuild kit & carb rebuild kit

Attachments

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Get a friend of similar size to sit on the bike, then measure your current ground clearance. Then subtract the 2" from that and think about your riding environment and determine if it's going to scrape. Keep in mind that things will get even lower/closer to the ground when cornering.

·
Registered
818 Posts
hey guys i'm currently building my first bike to my liking and was wondering if this sounded like it would work

2" drop rear,
1" drop in the front
Single Seat

do you think the bike will have any problems with being lowered? IE - scraping? I weight about 140 lbs and I'm 5'5"

i kinda wanna do bobber style.
Unless you ride fairly aggressive you shouldn't have too much problem, but of course it will scrape sooner. Just take it easy to start and keep it in mind until you've probed the limits a bit gradually.

Dropping the rear 2" and the front 1" will increase rake and trail, slowing the handling a bit, but I doubt that's any issue for you considering you like the bobber style.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you ride fairly aggressive you shouldn't have too much problem, but of course it will scrape sooner. Just take it easy to start and keep it in mind until you've probed the limits a bit gradually.

Dropping the rear 2" and the front 1" will increase rake and trail, slowing the handling a bit, but I doubt that's any issue for you considering you like the bobber style.
great thanks, it's significantly lower now but doesn't look like I should have any problems. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Banana Boat Seat

Do you guys have any idea if it's possible to put the kz400 "banana boat" style seat on the 440? It seems the kz440 frame has an angle in it that will only fit the stepped 440 seat. Let me know if you have ever seen anybody put a flat seat on the 440.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anything's possible.. maybe modify the seat to fit?

I could have sworn I've seen one somewhere with that style seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts