Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi firstly thanks for taking the time to read my post ... Over the course of the winter I did some work on my kz ,, valve cover gasket replacement .. cleaned carbs ,, my question is the cylinder numbering system from left to right is 1-4 ,, the repair book states the firing order is 1243 ,, left coil fires 1 an 4 right coil fires 2 an 3 , my motorcycle seems to only be running on 2 cylinders at best both those being on the rt side .. my question is when they say the right coil fires 1 an 4 do they do they mean strictly by firing order or the numbering system from left to right ? .. example left coil fires cylinder 1 rt coil fires cylinder 2 left coil fires cylinder 3 and rt coil fires cylinder 4 , i'm guessing my wiring from my coils are efed up ,, could use some help .. any input would be appreciated.. thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went thru this on my 81 750E . Left to right 1-2-3-4. Left coil fires 2-3, right coil fires 1-4. Check the connections for the ignition pulser behind the battery for the cdi unit. Slightest bit of corrosion will cause loss of spark on two cylingers. That’s where my problem was. Had intermittent loso of spark on cylinders 2-3, runs great now. Wiring diagrams are in shop manual available on the net

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went thru this on my 81 750E . Left to right 1-2-3-4. Left coil fires 2-3, right coil fires 1-4. Check the connections for the ignition pulser behind the battery for the cdi unit. Slightest bit of corrosion will cause loss of spark on two cylingers. That’s where my problem was. Had intermittent loso of spark on cylinders 2-3, runs great now. Wiring diagrams are in shop manual available on the net
Awesome thanks for the quick response,, will check .. any picks that show coil to spark plug would be cool ... I'm confused with the cylinder numbering and fire order... thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome thanks for the quick response,, will check .. any picks that show coil to spark plug would be cool ... I'm confused with the cylinder numbering and fire order... thanks again
Don’t worry about the firing order. Left coil fires cylinder 2-3, right 3-4 . Cylinder numbers are 1-2-3-4 left to right

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just to clarify, each coil will fire two cylinders at exactly the same time. But only one of the cylinders will be at top dead centre ready for the power stroke. The other cylinder will get a harmless spark during the exhaust stroke. But it is easy to get the wires mixed up if they were not carefully labelled when you removed the coils. Ask me how I know this...
I had to resort to wiring diagrams and my service manual to figure it out. Thankfully I at least labelled which coil was left and which one was right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, each coil will fire two cylinders at exactly the same time. But only one of the cylinders will be at top dead centre ready for the power stroke. The other cylinder will get a harmless spark during the exhaust stroke. But it is easy to get the wires mixed up if they were not carefully labelled when you removed the coils. Ask me how I know this...
I had to resort to wiring diagrams and my service manual to figure it out. Thankfully I at least labelled which coil was left and which one was right. Thanks .. so not thinking about firing order that confuses me my left coil when sitting on my bike will plug into cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 ? .. counting from left to rt 1234 ? ... I should have been more careful and marked them ... thanks for the help ...

·
Registered
519 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. Cylinders are always counted from left to right while sitting in the riding position. Coils are also named left and right based on a rider's riding position.

·
Registered
519 Posts
No problem. Just to cap this off, this does not apply to the larger 1000cc and up bikes. For some reason Kawasaki flipped the roles of the coils on the bigger bikes. Confusing as heck so if in doubt RTFM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem. Just to cap this off, this does not apply to the larger 1000cc and up bikes. For some reason Kawasaki flipped the roles of the coils on the bigger bikes. Confusing as heck so if in doubt RTFM.
yes I can understand that ..my bike is running sweet ,, I had the wires wrong .. my Clymer states the left coil runs 1 an 4 but actually as your diagram shows its 2 an 3 ,,, you guys kick ass and thanks soooo much ,, nothing like getting your motorcycle back up and running ... again thanks everyone problem solved in record time ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi firstly thanks for taking the time to read my post ... Over the course of the winter I did some work on my kz ,, valve cover gasket replacement .. cleaned carbs ,, my question is the cylinder numbering system from left to right is 1-4 ,, the repair book states the firing order is 1243 ,, left coil fires 1 an 4 right coil fires 2 an 3 , my motorcycle seems to only be running on 2 cylinders at best both those being on the rt side .. my question is when they say the right coil fires 1 an 4 do they do they mean strictly by firing order or the numbering system from left to right ? .. example left coil fires cylinder 1 rt coil fires cylinder 2 left coil fires cylinder 3 and rt coil fires cylinder 4 , i'm guessing my wiring from my coils are efed up ,, could use some help .. any input would be appreciated.. thank you
... problem resolved in record time .... thank you very much for your support and help

·
Registered
205 Posts
Left coil or right, it doesn’t matter which is used for which pair of cylinders. It’s the wires that they’re plugged in to; green for 2/3 and black for 1/4. As long as that’s correct you can mount the coils wherever you want.

·
Registered
763 Posts
….correct as David says, is the color on the coil wires which have the assignment, black to 1 and 4, green for 2 and 3, they come the ignitor, and in turn from the crankshaft pick up sensors. Once you keep this assignment, from wires to cylinders, it does not matter the physical position of the coils.

….the system is a 'waste spark' ignition, and is the same as a two cylinders 180 crank engine To this ignition system, the engine looks like a two cylinders. With a 180 crank, 4 cyl the two outboard cyl move together, and the two inboard cyls move together in the opposite direction.

….in this system, the firing order does not matter really, as each coil fires two sparks at the same time, ….is which cylinder is at TDC in the compression stroke what matters, but In any case, I don't think this matters to crow, only understanding the type of ignition.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Left coil or right, it doesn’t matter which is used for which pair of cylinders. It’s the wires that they’re plugged in to; green for 2/3 and black for 1/4. As long as that’s correct you can mount the coils wherever you want.
Well yes you could mount the coils wherever you want, but then you would have to swap the spark plug leads because they are different lengths.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts