Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Let me say I just got the bike today and I am not the most mechanically incline person.

OK this is he deal. Bike been sitting for a few years. dad got it about 5 month ago and it started up but leaked some gas after messing with the carb a little.

Today I got it from him. charged the battery and got it to run for a few second then cut if off because of the gas coming out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the carbs bowls. The gas was flowing out quite fast. it leaks when it is running and when I try to start it.

What could be possible cause for the gas to leak like this and possible solutions.

How do I check the petcock it is a vacuum type.res,on and ,pri

I read a thread that seem to have some of the same issues. One problem was the needle was dirty and not seating right and the float was to high or low. Are these the more than likely the issues.

thanks for all your help. I plan to take the carbs about next week so is there any thing I should do to them while I have them off beside clean and sync them?

·
Registered
265 Posts
If it does not leak when you're not trying to start it, the petcock is working properly. Just about the ONLY things that could be the problem is the needle and seat not sealing or possibly the float - either the level or that it's stuck or leaking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks I may take the carb off tonight. HOw do I tell if it seats properly? what am I looking for. The needle and were it hits what?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You can invert the carb and blow through the fuel line and get an idea if it leaks but to be absolutely sure you will have to put them back together and connect a fuel line and see if they leak. Doesn't have to be installed on the bike but will need to be held steady at the same angle as it is when mounted on the bike. If using the bikes tank for the fuel supply then then turn the petcock to PRI. That will simulate the same condition as the bike engine running as far as the petcock goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got a few more questions. Well I took the carb off and sprayed some carb cleaner in it. Look it over and it looked clean. Put it back together and tried to start it. This time no gas is leaking but it did not fire up?

What setting should the gas be on to start.

will charge the battery and try again tomorrow

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
When you remove the carbs or drain them for any reason. After they are installed/reassembled, turn the petcock to PRI for about 30-45 seconds. This fills the bowls with gas. Then turn the petcock to RUN (RES if you're low on gas) and start the bike like you normally would.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New issue HOT Cylinder. I got it to run it was running a little ruff but ok I think had the choke about 1/4 on t keep it running at about 1500 rpm.

running for about 3 mins and I decide to touch the engine block. One side is warm the other is Really hot. same with the exhaust, one is grabable the other will burn the s*** out of you.

My question is what am I looking at here as possible problems. valve adjustment, spark plug any other tip would be great. Engine overhaul :(

thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New plus installed but same problem. I tried the spark test I do not know if I did it right I do not things so. Took the spark plugs out and tried to fire the bike while touching some metal. I did not see a spark from either side of the bike. I will try this again later tonight and see if I messed up some where.

So far I think my coil is gone. The wires and every thing look good. I am thinking about getting my voltage tester out and trying to test the coil. any one know what setting I should use. thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALSO anyone remove the airbox and put cones on thier 440. Thing about getting rid of the box because it is a pain to deal with. Wanted to know if you experience any side effects from the cones.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
New plus installed but same problem. I tried the spark test I do not know if I did it right I do not things so. Took the spark plugs out and tried to fire the bike while touching some metal. I did not see a spark from either side of the bike. I will try this again later tonight and see if I messed up some where.

To test the spark, it's best to do this in a shady area. Bright sunlight can make it hard to tell what the spark is doing. Remove the plugs from the engine. Connect the plug wire to the plug the same as it is when in the bike for running. Hold the side metal portion of the plug (where the socket fits) firmly against the side of the engine and then with the key on, hit the starter. You should see a strong blue spark at the tip of the plug. If the spark is orange or white for very faint then you have a problem.

So far I think my coil is gone. The wires and every thing look good. I am thinking about getting my voltage tester out and trying to test the coil. any one know what setting I should use. thanks
You would use the OHM function of the meter. Your meter setting depends on whether you are testing the primary or secondary. Your service manual should tell you what setting to use and what value it should read when tested.

ALSO anyone remove the airbox and put cones on thier 440. Thing about getting rid of the box because it is a pain to deal with. Wanted to know if you experience any side effects from the cones.
I've never owned a 440 but several owners have reported the 440 to be extremely sensitive to intake changes. Something as simple as not having the filter installed in the airbox correctly can cause running issues. Based on that, I think it would be a big mistake on your part to try to change to pod filters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok did some work on it. I have spark on both sides.

Removed the carbs, cleaned the pilot screw, removed the main needle on the bad carb and it had crystallized gas and tarnish on the needle. So I clean the needle and sprayed it with carb clean really good. I looked every thing over well.

My only question is how do I set my Pilot needle. How many turns or how do I set it. I did not see it in my book?

thanks

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Usually the pilot is set by carefully turning it in until it stops(carefull as it can get distorted!!) and then turn it out 1 1/4 turns as a basic adjustment.

If the engine will run, then turn it out just a little more and see if likes this position, if no luck, turn the pilot back in a little.

Adjusting carbs is a delicate job, it depends on valve settings,and wether or not you're running the stock airbox and filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts