Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a 1982 305 csr it has 1,700 miles on it but it hasnt been run in 20yrs. i put in a new batter,oil,air filter and spark plugs.i cleaned out the carb as best as i could i just used carb cleaner spray .it doesnt run it turns over but it wont fire. i tried pop starting it the bike only went about 4ft then stopped. if theres anyone who could tell me what the problem is and how to fix it it would be much appreciated. this is my first bike so i dont know alot about motorcycles.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Does your new bike have ignition points or electronic ignition? I'd look under a cover (usually on the right side of the engine, about CD sized) to see what you've got.

Here's a website that will be helpful: THE KAWASAKI TWIN OWNERS FORUM :: Index

For your bike to run correctly, you will need 1.clean gasoline,2.compression(usually 125 PSI minimum),3.ignition spark at the right time.

I'd suggest getting a shop manual and learn how to check the valve clearances as having a valve partially open lets out compression/fuel.

Repair Manual Catalog Online - RepairManual.com and ManualsNMore.com Original Factory Service and Repair Manuals are two places to look at, also E-bay will have used manuals once in a while.

Let us know if you need more help as this is a very informative website.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Check to see if it's got good spark. If it doesn't, you should find dual sets of points located on the left side of the engine around the vlave cover area I believe. Remove the cover and clean the points and set the gap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its an electric start. can you please explain what and where these two points im looking for on the engine to check the spark. and how to i check and correct the compression?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Compression checks are done on a cold engine by removing the sparkplugs,screwing in a special gauge, and then either kick the engine over or use the electric starter.

Usually a couple of "turns over" will indicate the compression. Auto parts stores sell compression gauges, so ask there. Some are designed to be held against the sparkplug holes, but I prefer the screw in type.

I believe 125 PSI is about the lowest pressure needed for good combustion.

If the pressure is lower than 125 PSI, I'd get a shop manual and see about checking the valve clearances as an open valve will leak compression/fuel.

The ignition point(s) are nothing more than a switch opened and closed by a cam, they collapse the voltage/current going to the ignition coil(s) producing the spark bridging the gap in the sparkplugs.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I couldn't find an actual picture of a 305, but you'll get the gist of it. How To Set Points.

It's pretty easy as long as you have a small screwdriver and a $10 set of plug gapping feeler gauges that go to around 30 thousands.

Edit: Oh, and follow the advice on the automatic spark advance unit, as they are known to rust open, and make a bike very hard to start.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i recently bought a 1982 305 csr it has 1,700 miles on it but it hasnt been run in 20yrs. i put in a new batter,oil,air filter and spark plugs.i cleaned out the carb as best as i could i just used carb cleaner spray .it doesnt run it turns over but it wont fire. i tried pop starting it the bike only went about 4ft then stopped. if theres anyone who could tell me what the problem is and how to fix it it would be much appreciated. this is my first bike so i dont know alot about motorcycles.
I don't see anything about Points or condesers. Very important. points don't spark plugs don't fire. and then there are the coils but check the points first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts