Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and would appreciate some help.

I have a 1982 750 LTD Kawasaki that I purchased new and want to get it running again. It's been sitting for several years (garaged) after an electrical problem and will need some mechanical work after the problem is fixed. I will need to prep the engine for start-up and clean out any clogged fuel. After soaking and rebuilding the individual carbs, I need to synchronize them.

Could someone help me with the removal of the "plug" that covers the "pilot screw" and another that covers the the "pilot jet". How is it removed? Should I drill it out? Is it necessary to remove for cleaning?

I would like to know the procedure. The maintenance manual directs me to install a new plug with a small amount of a bond agent.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I haven't had to remove the plugs on a motorcycle carb but have on small engines. It should be the same principle. A small drill and pick work best. Just drill a hole through the center of the plug, put the tip of the pick in the hole and pry it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Is it necessary to replace them with new plugs or do I re-install the old ones? Or for that matter, do I even need to have any plugs in place? What is their purpose?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
The actual purpose of the plugs is to keep inexperienced fingers from tampering with the factory settings, but as you already know, there are times when you have to remove them to thoroughly clean the carb. On most engines I have worked with, if it was mine I left the covers off in case it was necessary to adjust them again later or thought I may have to disassemble the carb for cleaning again (as in a piece of equipment that I hardly ever used), if it belonged to someone else I put the covers back on to prevent someone from trying to do thier own maintenance and turning the wrong screw.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Larry K,

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of us who own Vintage bikes....I am always looking for a good deal. Put up a pic of you and your bike.

Heather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts