Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot open fuel tank cap. Brought it to a locksmith no luck. Does anybody know what I should do?
Is there a way to open cap and replace?
otherwise I would need a replacement tank. Are there any tanks available for purchase ?
Need helpful ideas ?

Thank You,

· Administrator
5,180 Posts
Why was the locksmith unable to open it? These locks are fairly easy to pick. Is the lock seized?
Did he push down on the cap to take the pressure off the lock while trying to pick it?

· Registered
1,537 Posts
If you have the key, spray the hole full of "PBBlaster". a lubricant, not "WD40", and plunge the key in and out and bunch of times. One of the pins may be stuck. When you hit the bottom, turn too open, never forcing, always having ppressure on the cap, allow the cap topopen if the key turns at all, and don't close it again. You can tape the opening cover with duct tape and plastic.. ;)

· Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
For heaven's sake, don't use plastic over a fuel opening. The gas fumes will likely melt the plastic into your fuel tank. Use cardboard instead. Geez.......

· Registered
1,537 Posts
I have used thick plastic sheet squares on all my 5 gallon gass cans to keep water out of the spout, and to make sure then don't leak. I have used these pieces so long, they have taken the shape of the fillter tubes, and still seal. I'm not recomending Saran Warp, and use something to cover the opening to nothing falls in there. I wouldn't use cardboard, the fumes would be obnoxiousss, moisture will get sucked into the gas tank. Tape that hole over, use a sheet of rubber or cardboard, but don't leave it open or unsealed. ......willikers!

· Administrator
5,180 Posts
I think it depends on the grade and type of plastic. After all, they make plastic fuel tanks for cars and everyone has plastic gasoline jugs at home.

But isn't the easiest and safest solution for the OP to remove his tank, drain it, and then take it to the locksmith? ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts