Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Dude
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As these bike are getting long in the tooth and parts more scarce it would be nice to pool resources and knowledge in one spot. I'm thinking maintenance experience, parts, shops, mods.....

Craigslist bikes/parts of interest is always a good start, so I will

Please keep this 1982 thread only.

Shop manual
March 2018 Site will not allow me to post links or pictures at this time as I am new here so message me if you want the address :roll:
Cheers!

·
Registered
216 Posts
They were only produced in 1982 so are definitely less common than the later unitrac models although I read somewhere that it continued virtually unchanged as the later L Model Z750.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was looking at this one on eBay today.

It was advertised as an A3 from 1985 so I knew there was something wrong. It turns out that, whilst it has a stack of paperwork, it’s a ringer.

The frame number is clearly totally wrong.

Shame though, it’s a nice bike but I’ll not be buying it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
83 KZ750L painted?
Handlebars and front fender is not Gpz.
Header does not look desirable either.
Might make a good parts bike.

It could be but it could also be a genuine GPz. What it isn’t though is an 86 A3 which is what the documentation says it is.

At some point in its life, this bike has had its identity changed which can only mean that its stolen.

The engine number (if it hasn’t had an engine swap) dates it earlier than my A1 and the frame number (although clearly a re stamp) would date it as an A5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im here

Hello,

I have 1982 GPZ7501R. Its all original, (minus the Kerker Header, jets, and a high flow air cleaner), 21k miles, un-restored.

I use only OEM part suppliers as they have 80% of what I need. For the parts they no longer make, I can usually find them on eBay, after that its a junk yard. I only had to go to a junk yard once and that was for spares that I thought I might need in the future.

Pete in SA

·
Dude
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought a new Kerker pipe off of Ebay. It is the only one I have found and was costly. I will probably sell my period correct Yoshimura to help recoup some of the cost.

·
Dude
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, question; Do stock 82 gpz 750 come with handlebars as well as the I-beam handlebars that came on the Canadian bike?
I have never seen one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Max,

The US Model (1982) has the I beam type. You can go to Part zilla or Bike Bandit and check the parts phish/diagram. I would post a PIC but I'm still not smart enough.

Pete in SA

·
Dude
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the moment I am looking for;
Front fender brake hose and speedo cable stays
Chain case (guard)

Anyone have these items?
Thanks.

·
Dude
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice in green. I haven't seen those pipes before.

I have been getting lucky with parts from all of the above sources. Ebay both North American and British sites. I have found parts as far away as Denmark, Sweden and fasteners from China. It has been pricey! I bought a new Kerker pipe from the states that cost me over $1300 cad but I had to have it as that's what I had in the day. That has been the biggest ticket item to date.
The reason I am getting it more stock looking is so that I can get cheap "collector" plates. We shall see what I can get away with as far as non stock parts as there are some exceptions.
Note; Funny you buy it from a guy who says all the original parts are in the box to find out it is not the case, maybe just the original parts he has.

·
Dude
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG my Gpz has quickly become as expensive as my 05 Multistrada with mods. I am surprised on how fast that happened and I am still not finished, over 7K in total so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the GPz family

Hi there,
I am picking up a 1982 GPz750 with 22k miles tomorrow. It's been stored indoors but hasn't been ran in who knows how long. The guy I'm buying it off of said he knows the carb lines are bad, no battery and that's about it. I'm certain the gas tank never had fuel stabilizer in it and that's the extent of my knowledge. I figured it would make a good winter project. Is there any advice on things to consider? Obviously the gas tank will be my first inspection. Take out the carbs and clean them. Oil change. Check the spark plugs and then the brakes. I am mechanically inclined but I have never cleaned carbs on a motorcycle before.Is there a video on the specific carbs I should reference or just the general carb cleaning video will suffice? I appreciate any opinions or thoughts.
Link of said bike imgur .com/gallery/ 45FWxrE

1 - 20 of 70 Posts