Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Dude
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My 2 cents...When tackling any kind of mechanical endeavor I research as much as possible until I feel comfortable in doing the job. Obviously any kind of model specific manual or diagram is almost a must. The stock carbs are a constant velocity type so that should be somewhat comparable to another make or model.
Take lots of pictures before and during disassembly. Take notes on any screw settings before you start. Be organized in a clean uncluttered area in case a spring or part drops to the floor. Be very careful with rubber parts/diaphragm as there is a good chance they will have to be replaced.
There are a lot of videos on Youtube on cleaning CV carbs.

·
Registered
739 Posts
They were only produced in 1982 so are definitely less common than the later unitrac models although I read somewhere that it continued virtually unchanged as the later L Model Z750.
They are essentially KZ750s, sold for 30 years around the world in different guises depending on markets. The latest versions sold in Northamerica were the Zephyrs sold in the '90s, and the ZR-7 in the 2000s. The GPZs simply had more aggressive cams and higher compression.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They are essentially KZ750s, sold for 30 years around the world in different guises depending on markets. The latest versions sold in Northamerica were the Zephyrs sold in the '90s, and the ZR-7 in the 2000s. The GPZs simply had more aggressive cams and higher compression.
I don’t disagree that they’re essentially the same bike from the z650 b1 right up until the 2003 ZR7-7.

The 82 GPz750 was rebadged as a z750L (with very minor changes) so the two are far closer than any of the other air cooled 750/4 variants.

·
Dude
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Congrats on the 82! It sounds to me you are on the right path. There are many Youtube videos that you can search that will help you out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OMG my Gpz has quickly become as expensive as my 05 Multistrada with mods. I am surprised on how fast that happened and I am still not finished, over 7K in total so far.
Hi Max,

The US Model (1982) has the I beam type. You can go to Part zilla or Bike Bandit and check the parts phish/diagram. I would post a PIC but I'm still not smart enough.

Pete in SA

Hi there, GPZ750 R1 owner from London here, I’ve just swapped the bars on my bike. Used the the later Z750 stock handlebar holder. Straight swap. Wanted bars:)

·
Registered
13 Posts

Picked up my freshly painted tank:) stripes are hand painted. Done at BoyzToyz in Essex just outside London. Stunning job:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Fellow GPZ750 R1 owners. Patrick from London here. I bought mine a couple of years ago and left it languishing. I love a project so started to buy bits and like Maxredline suddenly find myself quite deep into the project financially. I’ll keep the forum posted with photos of parts etc and the build. I have an instagram account as Camdenmotorcycleclub which actually Billy no mates😂 just me:) which has a few photos on. Anyway Hi all

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Pat, I’m following you on Instagram (Pj14ctf). Those carbon wheels blew me away!

I’ve got the later A model (Unitrac) with a few minor mods but may pick up an R at some point if I can find one at the right price. Probably too late now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
Hi Pat, I’m following you on Instagram (Pj14ctf). Those carbon wheels blew me away!

I’ve got the later A model (Unitrac) with a few minor mods but may pick up an R at some point if I can find one at the right price. Probably too late now!
Hi David
In for a penny in for a pound. Yup I really took the plunge with the wheels and various other pieces. The cost is never ending if the perfectionist and the credit keeps rolling. They are stunning wheels and truth is I’ve always wanted some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve made do with zxr400 wheels (and forks, yokes and swingarm) on mine.

Just got some HEL radial calipers for

it though!
The ZRX wheels are great as is the swinging arm. I put Bandit 600 on my Z500 front and rear. Literally bolted on so very lucky. Are the HEL calipers hard to fitfind?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered the adapters from HEL at the bike show last November as it’s something new that they’re getting in to. They don’t list the zxr400 adapters on their website though so it maybe that it’s not a bike they’re intending to make for, but made mine because they’d taken a pre order.
As they’ve made some now though, they’re no doubt in a position to make more.

I had to get some 2.5mm spacers though as my forks/yoke are from a 400H, not L and I didn’t specify that when ordering. The calipers are 100mm and available directly from HEL in black, titanium or ceracote coated.

I’ve used 400H forks and yokes as that’s what I had but the stem on the 400L is 35mm top to bottom and I couldn’t find any suitable bearings. Another option is to source a GSXR front end with forks designed for radial calipers. The stem is 30mm so bearings are available to make it a straight fit. You’ll need to order 108mm calipers though.

Ive built a gsxr front end up and it’s waiting to go on something when I get round to it. I’m thinking Gsxr front and VFR750 single side rear end with a 180 section tyre.

·
Registered
13 Posts
  1. I ordered the adapters fr
    [*]
    I had these made, let me know if you want one or two. Just ping a bit for postage:)

[*]om HEL at the bike show last November as it’s something new that they’re getting in to. They don’t list the zxr400 adapters on their website though so it maybe that it’s not a bike they’re intending to make for, but made mine because they’d taken a pre order.
    As they’ve made some now though, they’re no doubt in a position to make more.

I had to get some 2.5mm spacers though as my forks/yoke are from a 400H, not L and I didn’t specify that when ordering. The calipers are 100mm and available directly from HEL in black, titanium or ceracote coated.

I’ve used 400H forks and yokes as that’s what I had but the stem on the 400L is 35mm top to bottom and I couldn’t find any suitable bearings. Another option is to source a GSXR front end with forks designed for radial calipers. The stem is 30mm so bearings are available to make it a straight fit. You’ll need to order 108mm calipers though.

Ive built a gsxr front end up and it’s waiting to go on something when I get round to it. I’m thinking Gsxr front and VFR750 single side rear end with a 180 section tyre.
    [/
    QUOTE]

21 - 40 of 40 Posts