Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1982 GPZ 750 owners info and parts

18K views 69 replies 8 participants last post by  maxredline 
#1 · (Edited)
As these bike are getting long in the tooth and parts more scarce it would be nice to pool resources and knowledge in one spot. I'm thinking maintenance experience, parts, shops, mods.....

Craigslist bikes/parts of interest is always a good start, so I will

Please keep this 1982 thread only.

Shop manual
March 2018 Site will not allow me to post links or pictures at this time as I am new here so message me if you want the address :roll:
Cheers!

#35 ·
I ordered the adapters from HEL at the bike show last November as it’s something new that they’re getting in to. They don’t list the zxr400 adapters on their website though so it maybe that it’s not a bike they’re intending to make for, but made mine because they’d taken a pre order.
As they’ve made some now though, they’re no doubt in a position to make more.

I had to get some 2.5mm spacers though as my forks/yoke are from a 400H, not L and I didn’t specify that when ordering. The calipers are 100mm and available directly from HEL in black, titanium or ceracote coated.

I’ve used 400H forks and yokes as that’s what I had but the stem on the 400L is 35mm top to bottom and I couldn’t find any suitable bearings. Another option is to source a GSXR front end with forks designed for radial calipers. The stem is 30mm so bearings are available to make it a straight fit. You’ll need to order 108mm calipers though.

Ive built a gsxr front end up and it’s waiting to go on something when I get round to it. I’m thinking Gsxr front and VFR750 single side rear end with a 180 section tyre.

#40 ·
  1. I ordered the adapters fr
    [*]
    I had these made, let me know if you want one or two. Just ping a bit for postage:)

[*]om HEL at the bike show last November as it’s something new that they’re getting in to. They don’t list the zxr400 adapters on their website though so it maybe that it’s not a bike they’re intending to make for, but made mine because they’d taken a pre order.
    As they’ve made some now though, they’re no doubt in a position to make more.

I had to get some 2.5mm spacers though as my forks/yoke are from a 400H, not L and I didn’t specify that when ordering. The calipers are 100mm and available directly from HEL in black, titanium or ceracote coated.

I’ve used 400H forks and yokes as that’s what I had but the stem on the 400L is 35mm top to bottom and I couldn’t find any suitable bearings. Another option is to source a GSXR front end with forks designed for radial calipers. The stem is 30mm so bearings are available to make it a straight fit. You’ll need to order 108mm calipers though.

Ive built a gsxr front end up and it’s waiting to go on something when I get round to it. I’m thinking Gsxr front and VFR750 single side rear end with a 180 section tyre.
    [/
    QUOTE]

#43 ·
Beautiful. Love the old bikes. New ones are light years beyond the average riders abilities. Complex and expensive. Late seventies were the beginnings of good handling with decent power. New machines are excessive in every way. Of course we all would like to believe we can push an R1 to the limits but as a former road racer I know that is just a fantasy. My 81 GPZ is a blast to ride without making feel totally inadequate as a rider. Enjoy your exceptional ride.

#46 ·
I’ve not even filled them with brake fluid yet. As soon as we’re all out of lockdown, I’m intending on going out for a long ride to bed everything in.

I can’t imagine test I’ll not be pleased with them, it’s complete braking overkill fir a bike of this age. I’m using a radial master cylinder and have a set of 320mm discs to fit too. The current discs are 310mm.

Given that these bikes originally had 270mm discs and single piston sliding calipers, I’m pretty sure that I’ll not be disappointed!

#59 · (Edited)
What do you mean by grinding noise and where does it seem to be coming from?

My first thought is the lower drive chain run as that’s slack under acceleration or stationary but tight under deceleration. Pulling the clutch in would also slacken off the bottom chain run.

Without more information though, it’s hard to say.

Edit. If it’s coming from within the engine then I’d suspect the cam chain/guides/tensioner. Have you done any top end engine work?

#60 ·
What do you mean by grinding noise and where does it seem to be coming from?

My first thought is the lower drive chain run as that’s slack under acceleration or stationary but tight under deceleration. Pulling the clutch in would also slacken off the bottom chain run.

Without more information though, it’s hard to say.

Edit. If it’s coming from within the engine then I’d suspect the cam chain/guides/tensioner. Have you done any top end engine work?
Thanks for the quick response.
Underneath as opposed to top which as you say suggests Primary chain 😡

#65 ·
Just a thought; if the swingarm doesn’t have a plastic protector, the chain could be rubbing against the top of the swingarm metal to metal when the top run is slack (decelerating). It’s worth checking this first to see if you’ve got and gouges or scraped paint on the top of the swingarm near the pivot.

If it’s definitely coming from inside the engine then it could feasibly be the primary drive chain but that would be unusual as it’s a big heavy beast of a chain designed to survive a nuclear holocaust!

If if is though, it’s not far from a total engine rebuild to replace it. [emoji3525]

#66 ·
Just a thought; if the swingarm doesn’t have a plastic protector, the chain could be rubbing against the top of the swingarm metal to metal when the top run is slack (decelerating). It’s worth checking this first to see if you’ve got and gouges or scraped paint on the top of the swingarm near the pivot.

If it’s definitely coming from inside the engine then it could feasibly be the primary drive chain but that would be unusual as it’s a big heavy beast of a chain designed to survive a nuclear holocaust!

If if is though, it’s not far from a total engine rebuild to replace it. [emoji3525]
No scrapes on the swinger so we are looking at the Primary chain which as you say is an engine rebuild. I’ve asked for a quote:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.