Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
That is exactly what I need but of course it seems they don't sell such a device in the UK.
I need a 8mm 90deg fuel filter. 1/4" might work but have to again get yet more fuel pipe.
But yes that is what I need for all my bikes

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yep, 8 mm = 5/16" so the small end would be too small for your fuel line. 1/4" would fit okay I would think.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Update:
Bike back together for a starting and running test.
There is no doubt the fuel pipe is an issue. It is kinking causing fuel starvation.
A new issue for me this , something i have totally overlooked but has caused me on another bike
massive wrong paths ! of wasted time looking at carbs etc.
I think the same is happening on this bike as used the same fuel line type.

Of course i have no fuel pipe at hand to sort this and have ordered 6mm * 9mm which
I now realise is wrong and i possibly need 7mm * 10mm (int * ext dia).

-sump gasket on and now not leaking. I took another risk with a cheap athena gasket for these low pressure areas.
-Starter clutch as we have understood is still faulty as i did not buy a new one only a repair kit.
took a risk as i had to know if the stories were true. they are and i a m so gonna pay for that by doing it all again.

-i have been unable to get a fuel line to work with a inline fuel filter and now can
only do this with a 90deg bend fuel filter. Bought one today but a 10mm end is too big.
O course it is why did i buy it from a shop ?
I am cracking !

Bike now starts but runs like a dog partly because i have no proper fuel pipe , one that doesnt leak.
Will reduced mixture to stock 2 turns out for tomorrows test with new fuel pipe.

This bike is an absolute nightmare. I am to be honest sick of this constant failure
to get it tuned reliably.

My old Suzuki gs550 passed its mot again - no issues !
Will i ever own a kawasaki that works ?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Took the time to remove , clean, inspect the inlet rubbers as been reading a few threads on this recently.
They all seems ok but 2 i have changed for other old ones i had as the mating surface looked suspect.
Cleaned both surfaces methodically and applied a very small amount of blue hylomol
to help seal.
I have never used this before on inlet rubbers but i am hoping it will remove this from the
list of possible things wrong with this bike.

A point to note ---- i think all 4 rubbers were not on fully tightened. Again thinking back this is possible
i had never fully tightened them. This will be interesting when i get the fuel pipe in days
to see if bingo - it works. It sure would / could explain some of the issues or contribute to them.

I know the engine is good and i am working backwards from the inlet rubbers this time.

Braking system:
ordered some braided lines - wrong ones arrived so have to wait for others.
I tried every conceivable method of bleeding brakes and it didnt make the slightest difference.
Again i have been sold dud second hand brake lines off ebay ! (not ebays fault)

something for the future:
Next winters project will now be a kh 250 . It is the worst possible wreck i could imagine but
an impulse.
Of course i am assuming i can get this 750 going ! if not i wont be on this earth by winter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Put on new fuel pipe (that wont kink) with fuel filter
Cleaned carbs again .... (there was again dirt in the carbs)

Had the usual starting issue due to starter clutch not working , but it started on
3 cylinders-at tick over and i am sure it is on 4 when cruising along.

Mixture out to 3 turns now to stop it racing when pull the clutch in.
Plugs 1,2,3 look spot on. 4 clearly petrol.

NOTE: As was told on here - use a fuel filter on these old bikes ! I get it !
It would have saved me weeks an a whole lot of a stress.

Plan:
When braided front brake lines arrive ill pull carbs and clean carb 4.

NOTE: When the bike is warm as i have been test running it, the bikes starts immediately
so i dont notice the starter clutch churning. If i can tune this bike well the starter clutch
wont bother me so much. It starts now first press.
I read somewhere after the repair you need a long run to "bed" it in.
Only today have i given it a short run.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I meant plug 4 clearly no petrol - it is dry !!

Only now have i got the issue static ! in that i mean the problem is cylinder 4 and it is not changing
like it has been for the last few months. This due to the multiple possibilities when trying to isolate an issue.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Update:

The bike even with a busted starter clutch starts on the button and runs on four cylinders.

This can only be due to the following: All this after chasing my tail for almost a month

A suitable fuel hose - one that doesn't kink
A proper fuel filter (I used a 90deg one which gives the fuel line a perfect flow
from the fuel tap)
Clean carbs. I was chasing my tail here by cleaning them then having them become dirty
again by not using a fuel filter.
All stock jets as using a normal airbox (not a change I made they were stock anyway but not on my second set)

I have leaned the hard way that these steps are step one ! not to be missed.
I agree with the chap who said he never runs these old bikes without a fuel filter.

Issues:
-Starter clutch bust - not relevant as so tightly tuned it starts immediately
I will do it when I'm bored but remember it is easy to do it with the engine in the frame !!!!!
-Will not tick over - the only tuning issue. I simply cannot get it to tick over
It is ok over 2k revs but under is lumpy and will not tickover. if I set it to tickover screw then it screams
going along when I pull clutch in. something wrong with tickover and carb sync ?
I started a thread in mechanics corner and if anyone wants to advise I would be so happy to hear it.
I am stumped as in the past have been lucky and not had this issue.
-Spongy brakes - vacuum bled, reverse bled and new braided hoses. New caliper seals all round too.
A lot better though with the braided hoses but must assume the issue is in the master cylinder.
They sop the bike though.
-Possible steering head bearings need adjusting or possibly renewing. Sure there is a front end rattle but it seems better
since I did a bolt tightening detail on the bike.

Plan:
-MOT next week and will see how she goes.

But overall the bike over 2k revs goes like a dream. Best riding positon of all my bikes.
Who on earth would want one of these new retro bikes when you can have the real deal ?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Big day : tomorrow:

MOT day and this will be the first time the bike has been riden on the open road since at least
1996, (remember it was left unloved under a tarpaulin by a cruel owneror a long long time
probably a few years past then too. 8 miles to the nearest MOT centre.
Imagine the joy at 3pm UK time when I get too it !

It now will start ok when warm , a bit difficult when cold due to the starter clutch issue.
It starts though and I don't have to use cold start spray as it now runs on four cylinders.
The only tuning issue now is that it will not tickover. (I am working on that)

Whatever the mot informs of I will need a new rear tyre (slow puncture), possibly front too, new disks all round or
at least two of them ground down a bit as there are ridges.
Also the brakes are a bit spongy (front master cylinder kit ordered) but will stop it.

I think that is it for this bike - nothing else wrong with it now.
I still want it mechanically perfect though and the issues above must be sorted.

Also found the bracket that holds the front windshield. I think this ruins the lines of the bike
and wont use it but will use it for long haul rides if they ever happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
The bike passed the mot !
All legal and took it to the coast.
A wonderful ride.

Anyone considering such a project , do it ! It is all worth it in the end and you will own a bike with a story to tell...and that is worth something.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow, you did a great job.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Just an update:

The bike is going like a dream and can take some touring too ! Burns up the motorway miles
and can take the small roads of Cornwall too. Uses no oil and sounds sweet.

Wondering do I dare take this "delicate" bike on a Europe wide tour ?
Not done this before and wondering can my bike take a 2000 mile tour - 150-200 miles a day.
It could when it was new for sure but now ?
Who else takes vintage bikes on tour ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
I agree with RoadRunner. (322? 'must be a Skull & Bones man.:razz:) I have taken several long tours with my '84 ZN1100. The last one was a 6,000km (4,000 miles) tour of Canada's east coast. It rained some nearly everyday and the bike ran flawlessly. She's got 140,000kms on her now and I wouldn't think twice about going for another long tour. Make sure all of your electrical connections are good and clean, take along a well thought out tool kit that also includes some wire and tape and head out on the highway!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I agree with RoadRunner. (322? 'must be a Skull & Bones man.:razz:) I have taken several long tours with my '84 ZN1100. The last one was a 6,000km (4,000 miles) tour of Canada's east coast. It rained some nearly everyday and the bike ran flawlessly. She's got 140,000kms on her now and I wouldn't think twice about going for another long tour. Make sure all of your electrical connections are good and clean, take along a well thought out tool kit that also includes some wire and tape and head out on the highway!
No idea what skull and bones means but that's my birthday month and day. How many miles on your ZN engine since the rebuild? You should have kept the other one for a spare!!

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
google 322 skull&bones, unless you're a real Bush or Kerry fan.

35,000kms since replacing the rings, cross-hatching cylinders, 3 angle valve job and new valve seals. It runs absolutely beautifully. I also have the dyna coils and non-suppression copper wires. (that reminds me, I'm overdue for a valve lash check!)
I intended to use the other ZN (Tenbrooks) as a parts bike but I just couldn't bring myself to defile such a pristine example. I wanted her to go to someone who would appreciate her as she is. So far I've had no takers and only a few nibbles. I guess I'll lower the price next year. I suppose that you have to be of a certain age to appreciate a bike like that. It kind of falls between the well defined catagories of cruisers and sport/touring machines.
My girlfriend has let her license expire. She prefers to ride on the back with me so I'll probably switch over to a 2009 Concourse when I can swing it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I owned a 2004 Concours for a couple of years. It has a lot of great features such as a 7.5 gallon tank that gives it the range of a car. The worst feature of the bike is it is top heavy and easy to drop during low speed turns. Here's a link to a video of a guy who rides a 2003 all over North America.

Check out the older Yamaha Ventures, 83 to 93. You've never heard a better sounding engine when winding it out than the V4 in those bikes. They will carry your beautiful lady in comfort. A Canuck who is a member of venturerider bought one for $250 Canadian, fixed a few things and rode it to Mexico, removed the TCI and carbs and left the bike and flew home. Then he sold the parts on ebay for more than he paid for the bike. Now he has another Venture he bought for $350.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/RR322/YamahaVenture002_zps3231a641.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Oh, I did look up 322 skull & cross bones. Sounds like much to do about nothing. I'm not a Kerry fan. I think he is a progressive fool and Bush a not so intelligent person lacking in wisdom who was the puppet of the elites.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts