Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Cheers for the thoughts.
I think you are right - I have to go for it and now !
After my tour of cornwall (UK) which was fabulous I simply must get some bigger tours done now.

I also must do a big USA tour too one day.
To that end I am checking on cost to get bike over to USA. Ill let you know what quotes i get but the bottom
line is it looks like it is cheaper than hiring a bike !

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
The thing is, it's difficult to find a bike that has all the features that the spouse and I both want and need. She wants comfort. A nice comfy seat with cup holders and a backrest. I want sporty with little or no "dashboard" and fairings and no windshield. I don't think a bike like that exists so we will have to compromise. Of the sport/touring bikes I've looked at, the Concours' built after 2009 have the smallest fairing and dashboard. The windshield is smaller than most but I would still cut it down by 2". The passenger seat is not the most comfortable on the market but we could replace it with a good aftermarket seat. Besides that, I'm a Kaw-guy....... or possibly something European.

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
I took a quick look at shipping a bike to Europe from Canada a while back and I found it to be too expensive for me. Renting was slightly cheaper (in Italy). Plus I was required to drain ALL of the fluids out of the bike including, brake fluid and fork oil.

At this point, I still have an '84 ZN1100 in mint shape that I could rent to you real cheap. ;-)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hoyt, I couldn't help but notice you used the word "spouse" to describe your significant other. Good for you. She seemed too good to let her get away!!

I was at the Miami Honda/Kawasaki motorcyle dealer back in 2010 test riding a used Goldwing and met a guy from Sweden. He had flown over to the USA, bought a 2003 Honda Shadow and had ridden it all over the USA for a month. He was at the dealer with the intent of selling the bike to the dealer and then fly back home. That may be the cheapest way to tour the USA. You can buy a decent bike for $3k ride it to heck and back, and sell it way cheaper than renting or shipping your bike both ways probably.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
google 322 skull&bones, unless you're a real Bush or Kerry fan.

35,000kms since replacing the rings, cross-hatching cylinders, 3 angle valve job and new valve seals. It runs absolutely beautifully. I also have the dyna coils and non-suppression copper wires. (that reminds me, I'm overdue for a valve lash check!)
I intended to use the other ZN (Tenbrooks) as a parts bike but I just couldn't bring myself to defile such a pristine example. I wanted her to go to someone who would appreciate her as she is. So far I've had no takers and only a few nibbles. I guess I'll lower the price next year. I suppose that you have to be of a certain age to appreciate a bike like that. It kind of falls between the well defined catagories of cruisers and sport/touring machines.
My girlfriend has let her license expire. She prefers to ride on the back with me so I'll probably switch over to a 2009 Concourse when I can swing it.
Sounds like you may have two bikes for sale, your second ZN1100 and your spouse's bike. If you sold all three bikes, you should be able to swing that Concours!!

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
Sounds like you may have two bikes for sale, your second ZN1100 and your spouse's bike. If you sold all three bikes, you should be able to swing that Concours!!
Yah, if I sold all three I might get 5 to 6 grand. The Concours' that I've been looking at run about 9-10k up here for one in really good shape. I've seen the odd one as low as 7K (CAD) so It might be possible in the future. Maybe for 2018.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wonder what it costs to buy in the US and take it to Canada or vice versa. There are some great deals on used Concours in the US. If I buy a vehicle in another state, I only have to pay sales tax on it in my home state when I register it. But going across the border is probably different. But, we do have that free trade agreement NAFTA don't we?

You may have to convert the wife's bike back to a masculine looking bike before trying to sell it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello fellow GPz750 dual shock jockeys!

I found this forum on Tapatalk. I'm usually on KZRider.com but I recognize a few usernames from over there as well. I wish I had found this forum and thread earlier I might have been of some help.

A few things I've learned about the KZ750 series that might be very helpful over the last year:

All KZ750s are the same crankcase, cylinder block, and gearbox. The only differences in the GPz750 (production code KZ750R1, made for 1982 model year ONLY) are the carbs, high compression pistons and the factory ported and polished head. Everything else is directly interchangeable engine wise.

The ZR750 air/oil cooled series of bikes are basically just improved KZ blocks and many components interchange with their older brothers. I'm using a stainless steel header from one and will be using a secondary shaft and starter clutch when I rebuild my engine.

The dual shock GPz750 was only built for one year but There are at least 3 other models made over the next few years that were nearly identical that use many of the same parts slightly mixed and matched. These are the KZ750L the GT750 shaft (KZ750P) and the US only 1984 KZ700A. There were slightly different handle bar setups on the 700 and the 750L and the GT750 had a slightly different tank and side panels besides being a shaftie. This is very helpful if you have a US model GPz and want to get rid of the stupid 85 mph speedometer.

Last but not least the KZ550 and ZX550 6 speed gear sets fit in the KZ750/650 crank case without modification. The 1st gear is pretty low but it can be counteracted with some selective sprocket changing and you get some nice and tall cruising gearing in 5th and 6th along with higher top speed. This is what I will also be doing to my bike on rebuild.

Now my bike about 2-3 months ago. Mechanically it was almost where I wanted it and was just working out some electrical bugs, etc.

My bike about 6 weeks ago. Just after I rebuilt the entire charging system. I was riding some side roads, short cutting, to fill up on some ethanol free gas and lost traction when my rear wheel picked up some loose dust from a construction site just before turning left at a stop sign. The reason I will be rebuilding my engine and a few other things.

1982KZ750, Do you still have that GPz engine? Would you be wiling to sell the head? I damaged mine just after I got it adjusting the valves. I could repair it but if I could find a head, so much the better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How can I tell the difference between the KZ head and the GPz head? As far as I can tell they look the same to me. Neither one is factory polished, unless 34 years and 40,000km has done something about that.

Basically I have one head that works and one that doesn't. The one currently on my bike doesn't give great compression but she runs (most of the time). The other one I actually just got back from getting an estimate from a machine shop here in BC and they said intake valves were dished, exhaust valve guides were sloppy, and it needed a surface mill, on top of grinding valves and seats. They quoted me around $600 for it, which is twice as much as what I bought that bike for in the first place. Once I park the bike for the winter I might take the other head in and see what kind of shape it's in, but as of right now I have no plans for the one I just got the estimate on.

Back to the matter at hand - would the KZ and GPz have had different cams? Mine look identical as well. My only indication that one engine may have been from a GPz is that it when I bought it, it came with a GPz frame. The bike was in about 4 boxes of parts though, so there's no telling what was original and what wasn't. I do vaguely remember the previous owner saying something about the engine maybe not being original, but it was a long time ago, and the information I had back then led me to believe the KZ and GPz had identical engines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only difference between a KZ engine and a GPz engine are the high compression pistons and the factory port and polish.... And the engine number series stamped on the crank case. I was lucky enough to find one that is in that range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand if you can get a early ZX750A uni track head it had hotter cams. The head will fit but you can't easily just drop the cams in a KZ head since the exhaust valves were recessed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Terrible news but this bike is now up for sale. My beloved GPZ 750 R1.
This due to having to downsize everything. It breaks me to do this.

The one that drove me to the edge mechanically restoring it from a wreck.

It must go to a good home as this has history. I am in the UK, south West.
Are there any interested parties ?
Ill try and make a proper advert in the sales area.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Terrible news but this bike is now up for sale. My beloved GPZ 750 R1.
I didnt sell previously but will now !
This due to having to downsize everything. It breaks me to do this.

The one that drove me to the edge mechanically restoring it from a wreck.

It must go to a good home as this has history. I am in the UK, south West.
Are there any interested parties ?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Man, that's sad to hear. You put your heart and soul in the rebuild of that bike. You can always buy another bike when and if the urge and opportunity comes again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know someone who may well be interested. He's in the Shrewsbury area. PM me and I'll ask the question.

Gary.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Sent email and will now check regularly.

I am gutted to have to sell my Kwak. Saved from a wreck and to become scrapped and
a donor bike. The bike has been garaged constantly since I pulled it from a hedge.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts