Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Like the sign says, I need a replacement fuel pump for my ‘82 GPz1100 (KZ1100B2). Part number is 49040-1003, long discontinued and when it was available it was knocking on $500. I heard a rumor this is identical to the pump in a ‘79 Cadillac Eldorado (!). Can anyone confirm/deny?

This same pump was used on the 81 GPz, the 750 Turbo and some other fuel injected bikes at that time.

Any potential leads or confirmation of the rumor would be greatly appreciated! The bike is sitting in a shop 100 miles from home with the pump confirmed dead, and I would like to get it back!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1982 GPZ1100
10 Posts
Walbro Fuel Pump GSL393 is verified. Make sure you get the inlet and outlet fittings for it.
You may have to buy an installation kit separately.

If you need a regulator, a Standard PR134 is verified.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walbro Fuel Pump GSL393 is verified. Make sure you get the inlet and outlet fittings for it.
You may have to buy an installation kit separately.

If you need a regulator, a Standard PR134 is verified.
Thanks! I just looked at it, and it appears different from the Kawasaki pump. When you say it’s ‘verified’ do you mean that it works, or that it is the SAME? I see that the fuel inlet is substantially smaller than the 12mm inlet on the Kawasaki pump, which is what inspires my question.

Following up on an earlier tip, this Carter pump for the Eldorado appears to share external characteristics with the Kawasaki pump, although I am only able to compare photos so I can’t see if they have the same dimensions:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1982 GPZ1100
10 Posts
The only difference I know of is the Kawasaki pump has a 90 degree fitting, on one end of the pump.

I think a new longer hose, would bend enough to connect to that straight fitting on the Walbro pump.

So, that leaves the installation fittings. I have seen them in 3/8" OD barbs. Is the hose 12mm ID or OD?

I'm about to swap out the pump and regulator, on my '82 GPZ1100, with the parts posted. I have read
a ton of posts about this, in the past 2 days (I just bought the bike). Lots of Walbro GSL393 swaps.

WALBRO GSL392 Installation Kit 3/8" 10mm Barb Fittings GSL391 GSL395 393 400-939 | eBay

·
Registered
1982 GPZ1100
10 Posts
I would not buy that Carter pump. It's rated for 32PSI maximum pressure. Definitely not suitable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An excellent point. I was looking at external size characteristics and not paying attention to fuel pressure and volume. I imagine the GPz volume needs are low but pressure needs may be high. We don’t know what the original pump was rated at though, do we? What is your pump’s rating?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...and he also confirmed that 32 PSI is more than adequate for this application. I went ahead and ordered the Carter Cadillac Eldorado pump which reportedly is identical to the Kawasaki pump. We will know in a few days if that’s correct or not.

·
Registered
1982 GPZ1100
10 Posts
I would monitor it for a lean condition, with that pump.

Kawasaki specs are [email protected] and 36psi, when the throttle is opened.

I don't believe the Carter pump is equivalent to Factory OEM, based on the output stated
(32PSI maximum), in the link.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would monitor it for a lean condition, with that pump.

Kawasaki specs are [email protected] and 36psi, when the throttle is opened.

I don't believe the Carter pump is equivalent to Factory OEM, based on the output stated
(32PSI maximum), in the link.
Ah-ha! Now THAT would have been great info to have! Unfortunately my mechanic has my shop manual so I couldn’t look him up and trusted him to do so. I guess he guessed. :(

I already ordered the pump but perhaps should order the Walbro pump as well....

Thanks!

·
Registered
1982 GPZ1100
10 Posts
Don't panic yet. It should be OK. I think the website you linked has the info backwards. 32PSI is the MINIMUM pressure for this pump. This makes a lot more sense to me. 32PSI max. is too low for most FI systems. See link below for specs.

Carter P74015 | Carter Fuel Systems Catalog

There's no downside to the Walbro. I have used them many times in automotive applications to the 800HP level (two GSS340 Walbros, in-tank, 510LPH).

They are very high quality pumps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, good. In thinking about it, I couldn’t imagine all those cars staggering around with low fuel pressure, and figured if it’s good enough for all those larger engines it should be able to handle the demands of a 1.1 liter four.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t know yet. It was ordered and shipped Monday. It may not have arrived; even if it did it may not have been installed yet. I will let you know as I learn more.

When the bike last ran the fuel pump seemed fine and everything downstream was all screwed up. The pump since failed and needed to be replaced. Now I’m likely back where I started and the fun begins....,

·
Registered
1982 GPZ1100
10 Posts
OK. I ordered and received the same Carter pump yesterday. It looks good. I will be installing it either today or tomorrow. I think it will be fine, based on the revised specs discovered.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are the external characteristics as identical as they appeared to be? I’ve never actually seen either pump in person, only photos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts