Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no spark on the left side. I have tested coils, condensers, spark plugs(bought new ones and tested those too). From looking at other posts and Youtube videos people have suggested looking at the pickup coils but I have no idea where those are on the bike. It's not like there's a whole lot there anyways on these small bikes anyways. I am running out of ideas here and need to move places soon because I am in college and don't have a lot of time and money to spend on this thing so any tips or information is massively appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a manual. That was the only thing missing from the bike when I bought it. I know where I can find a downloadable copy which is what I have been using in its place.

The coils are showing between 3 and 5 OHMs on the primary lead and a little over 15 OHMs on the secondary. My condenser is going up and down in DCV and OHMs depending on which one I set it too which from what I saw and read means that it is working. (LMK if I'm wrong on that one.) I had already sanded clean the points but what is a good way of testing them without the bike running?

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Your coil readings seem ok, but bear in mind the coil could still be defective which is why Kawasaki developed its own coil tester that will test the coil under the same high voltage (~30,000 volts) that the coil sees when the bike is running.

If you are certain the spark plug wire, cap and spark plug are not at fault, and if the coil is getting power and points are operating correctly, then you likely have a bad coil.

You really, really should find a service manual though. It's the most important tool in your toolbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your coil readings seem ok, but bear in mind the coil could still be defective which is why Kawasaki developed its own coil tester that will test the coil under the same high voltage (~30,000 volts) that the coil sees when the bike is running.

If you are certain the spark plug wire, cap and spark plug are not at fault, and if the coil is getting power and points are operating correctly, then you likely have a bad coil.

You really, really should find a service manual though. It's the most important tool in your toolbox.

The coil I got wasn't stock. It was aftermarket so I don't know if kawasaki's special way of testing applies. And yeah that is the manual I have referencing. I will look through it again if they have a method for testing points as coils.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Ok wait. So let's get this straight.

1) You did not have spark.
2) You bought an aftermarket coil.
3) You still have no spark.

Is that right?

We have to get the story and facts straight. Even small details can make a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coil that I had suspected of failing and tested was an aftermarket coil. It was on the bike when I bought it a year ago while it was still running fine. I did not put it on there myself. I miss-spoke when I said "got".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try that as soon as I get some work done on a final I have for a class. The wires should reach since they are all right next to one another. I will update you with the results afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts