Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

part number 13116 is what is at the clutch end of the rod that pushes on the plate. There’s a bearing before it at the end of the rod. On the other end of the rod where the clutch cable is you have this other mechanism that does have an adjustment nut.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The previous owner said it rode up until he and his friend broke it down to do the gasket job. Could have been a bs story..

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
I have often seen the ball bearing #600 go missing when people take a clutch apart. They don't even notice it and then upon reassembly you get exactly what you describe. Do you know for certain the ball bearing is still in place?

Also on several of your pictures it looks like the clutch adjuster that is part of your engine side case has an abnormal amount of slack as evidenced by the number of visible threads. Have you tried adjusting this? If I recall correctly, you need to run it in until you just feel it touch the push rod, and then back it out 1/2 turn and tighten the locknut.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Start with the adjustment WFO-KZ posted just above on the slotted screw and lock nut. It is what sets the position of the release mechanism that the cable pulls. If the starting position is not correct the clutch rod will not be moved correctly.

DO THE EASY THING FIRST before ripping apart the clutch assy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I got the clutch fixed. The screw on the engine cover tightens when you turn it counter clockwiseIt works as it did when I first got the bike. But it feels tight in the engine. As in when I pull the clutch lever it moves but not very easily. Maybe my pressure plate is too tight?? I’ll look up the torque specs and check it out unless someone thinks it’s suppose to be like it is. Again, when I ill the lever it allows me to move the bike when in first gear but it feels tight. Hard to push.

My new solenoid made specifically for the bike arrives tomorrow so that’s the next task. I also ordered a new ignition switch with keys because mine didn’t have keys.. what I did was removed the casing of the ignition switch exposing the plastics electrical fixture controlling the on and off of the bike. I can use a screw driver as of now to turn the bike on. Hopefully things go smoother with the new parts. One thing though is my headlight only comes on periodically. If I turn the ignition it sometimes won’t work. Maybe a short. Some things I was thinking about rewiring..

Well, until tomorrow guys. Thanks everyone for the time and information.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You should also think about replacing the clutch cable for a new one. It will smooth things a bit....and improves the odds of not braking away from home. Actually, you may need a lot of new parts considering what you paid.

About the headlamp.... I'd start by reading on the headlamps plugs if there is voltage, when not working. Is this Hi beam/Low beam or both?? It could be many things; the headlamp itselft, loose wire, corroded terminal.......... Does anything else quit when lamp not working??

This would help practice your electrical engineering skills. Is from a '80 550 though. Hope you like the colors.

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
In regards to your clutch. It is good to know that progress is being made. I am concerned though that someone has disassembled and reassembled the clutch release mechanism incorrectly. Since there are multiple grooves in the inner release gear it is easy to assemble it to the outer release gear incorrectly. Study the diagrams on E96, E97 and E98 and you will see what I mean. In E96 study the angle between the clutch release lever "A" and the clutch cable itself. The angle is a lot less than 90 degrees, probably around 75-80 degrees. It has to be that way for the clutch to work properly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In regards to your clutch. It is good to know that progress is being made. I am concerned though that someone has disassembled and reassembled the clutch release mechanism incorrectly. Since there are multiple grooves in the inner release gear it is easy to assemble it to the outer release gear incorrectly. Study the diagrams on E96, E97 and E98 and you will see what I mean. In E96 study the angle between the clutch release lever "A" and the clutch cable itself. The angle is a lot less than 90 degrees, probably around 75-80 degrees. It has to be that way for the clutch to work properly.
This plus the simple thing first again. Clutch cable lube so it moves freely. With it disconnected from the release mechanism there should be almost no resistance to movement of the lever.

If you have not got it to start yet, Oil has not been distributed on to all of the clutch components inside the engine and therefore may be sticking. You can check that the clutch is releasing by putting the bike in gear and see if you can roll it first with the lever out (clutch engaged) next with the lever pull in (clutch disengaged). Get the bike running first and let oil circulate and excursive the clutch and see if it frees up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay. Well, I installed the original kind of solenoid, I get it to engage when I push the start button but it’s like nothing is going to my starter.. perhaps my wires are wrong. I’ll show a picture when I get to it tomorrow. Work and kids keep me tied up. But the strange thing is when I jump a wire from positive straight to my heavy starter power wire, it tries to spin.. Any thoughts there? Thanks again.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What to you mean by 'kind of solenoid?? Is it OEM or is it not?? When you said 'engage', does that mean is clicking, audibly??

It it clicks, it should pass power through the big posts. From Battery+ to Crank motor if connected to them. There are others things which would prevent it from clicking (relay pulling in), like Kill Switch, or Neutral Switch not being in proper position, but would not click in that case.

Other than the big black power cables to battery and motor, are there three wires as white/red, yellow/red, and black???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Okay. The solenoid is functioning properly. I am trying to find a good diagram for connecting my carb hoses. The fuel lines and vacuum lines and vents. Does anyone have any good diagrams.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts