Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be redoing my bike and would like to go with differant gauges for a couple reasons, reason one is that neither the speedo or tach work properly, reason two is that I would like to clean up my bike abit. One issue I've been coming across for the last couple years of trying to find a good speedo is that I can't find the ratio at the wheel... I found out that most if not all kawi's had the same drive, which would make me think that it's a concern of either the tire size and or the ratio of the speedo gauge... my bike came stock with a 18" rim where I'm finding out that most other bikes had the 19". I've found aftermarket 1:2 ratio speedo and 2240:60 ratio... so I'm getting really confused I don't know which ratio could be used on my bike if either... even if I went with a more normal 19" rim which one could be used... I would prefer to stick with the rim I have though. If I knew the ratio at the wheel than I could do some math and figure out what I need. Also I've only been able to find after market cable driven tachs, where can I get a electric one which is what came stock on my bike. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the 2240:60 the standard drive at the wheel? and is that with the 19" wheel? Yeah I seem to have a habit of getting unusual or unique vehicles... '82 kz1000p, '74 ford maverick... so with my stock speedo drive (according to reaserch appears to be universal), and my 18" rim with a 110/90 18 tire, I should use a 2240:60 speedo? Thanks.

Or should I ask it this way... the 2240:60 speedo and drive would give accurate speed metering with what size front wheel? Thank you

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well according to the BuyKawasaki web site diagrams I checked out the wheel driven speedo drive and I hit the button to see what else there used on and it showed ALOT of bikes... most from that era, yet I think the differant models also had differant front wheel than the 18". What size front wheel is on your R1? 18 or 19? Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The original speedo gauge was really messed up you could hear gears being knocked around and the needle was broken so I went to a junk yard and picked up a speedo off of a newer cop bike, thing is though is that I found out afew days ago that cop bikes had a reducer/multiplier gear inbetween the drive and gauge... they had to have a more accurate speedo than civilian models. So that is why I want to goto something more conventional and cheaper than Kawasaki brand parts. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done some calculations but I can't find some kind of base point as to what the 2:1 or 2240:60 really means... I've calculated the tire revolutions per mile and devided that by what I think the ratio at the wheel is so I can get the cable rotations per mile... now what would I compare that to so I can the the speedo ratio? I think the wheel ratio is 15:9... with a tire diameter of 25.79" ... maybe I'm overthinking this thing.... I just want to know if a 2:1 or 2240:60 would work better with my bike. O'well who needs a speedo. thanks and sorry for annoying anyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts