Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I know I need new rotors all the way around, my bike still has it's origenal rotors by the look of them they are worn and grooved pretty bad. I had a shop check theme out and they said that in the valley of the grooves is thinner than the min thickness and the ridges are on or just a little thicker than min thickness... Does anyone know what rotors would work? I have the crossreferance program by zeddar and I have checked the buykawasaki web side, BUT they only give part number to part number referance, I doubt they would show what other rotors have the same bolt pattern, thickness, and overall diameter so you can see what rotors would work in what factor. I've seen some 1000 Concours rotors on e-bay which look like they would work with the bolt pattern and apparent overall diameter, same goes with some 81-82 kz1000 or ltd front rotors I've been looking at... everything appears to be the same but the part numbers don't match... info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. David

btw, does anyone know where I could find engineering schematics bike and bike parts? That would be my way of crossreferencing... if the dimensions fit they should work...

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Part #'s get updated by manufacturers. Your best bet would be to call a Kawi dealer, and ask the person to hit the "Used on" feature on the Kawi fiche. This will tell them what this part # is used on other bikes.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
btw, does anyone know where I could find engineering schematics bike and bike parts? That would be my way of crossreferencing... if the dimensions fit they should work...
Bike bandit has the OEM schematics and you can look at the kawi part numbers for different years and models. If the numbers are the same, they should use the same part.

OEM Parts at BikeBandit.com

This place also has the same service:

Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've searched all the fore mentioned sites and resources, some resources show one group, another will show another group, and the third will show a third group, there are of course models which are shown from all resources. for example I'm researching the rotors for a '82 kz1000p (1), and when I go through Welcome to Kawasaki.com and check their diagrams and than hit the button for what other bikes use this part (or equivalent), it gives me only kz1000p's.... same model but through differant years. I goto bikebandit.com and find the part number for my bike than I check out other bikes which I have seen parts on ebay that "look" like the ones on my bike and the part numbers don't match... usually the last two numbers are differant afew cases the last three. I use my Zeddar program I got off of ebay and I get afew differant models but than again that programs is really lacking in the discription department... I'm just trying to find some rotors which have the same bolt pattern, within the desired diameter, and within the desired thickness range of what the wheel hub and caliper location will allow. Off brands, and non-oem suppliers are fine with me as long as they are built to oem requirements. my bike is'nt being restored to stock so if something is in my price range and will work, I go for it. Sorry for the rant I'm just getting fustrated with how the motorcycle industry works their parts...

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I were you I would get the measurements and post them. I'll commit to measuring mine to see if that yr and model will swap. You woulod think Kawasaki would try to use the same parts on different bikes to keep costs down (where feasable).

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
So you called the Kawi dealer also, and the parts person said there wasn't any matches for that part # to other bikes?

I have a 1980 bike and my front rotor fits on bikes up until the mid '90's.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I've searched all the fore mentioned sites and resources, some resources show one group, another will show another group, and the third will show a third group, there are of course models which are shown from all resources. for example I'm researching the rotors for a '82 kz1000p (1), and when I go through Welcome to Kawasaki.com and check their diagrams and than hit the button for what other bikes use this part (or equivalent), it gives me only kz1000p's.... same model but through differant years. I goto bikebandit.com and find the part number for my bike than I check out other bikes which I have seen parts on ebay that "look" like the ones on my bike and the part numbers don't match... usually the last two numbers are differant afew cases the last three. I use my Zeddar program I got off of ebay and I get afew differant models but than again that programs is really lacking in the discription department... I'm just trying to find some rotors which have the same bolt pattern, within the desired diameter, and within the desired thickness range of what the wheel hub and caliper location will allow. Off brands, and non-oem suppliers are fine with me as long as they are built to oem requirements. my bike is'nt being restored to stock so if something is in my price range and will work, I go for it. Sorry for the rant I'm just getting fustrated with how the motorcycle industry works their parts...

The dipsticks on ebay usually don't know what the part number is. In some cases, they just post a "similar" picture and general description. It's always risky buying from them.

I had good luck at Bike bandit finding the kawi number for my bike's part and then cross checking to other similar models I thought might be the same. I found their numbers to be pretty accurate on engine parts anyway. I don't know if the "go find similar" search engine is relaible because I never tried it.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
1995 Concours front rotor # matches your KZ front rotor # perfectly.

I don't have time to look them all up, but the Japanese use a lot of the same parts on different bikes. And contrary to your findings, the part #'s match up perfectly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. kind of on but off subject... Has anyone gone from a dual front rotor down to a single? and if so was there much of a differance? I've seen alot of bikes with a single or no front brake (although not to many without the front brake nowadays). I've found a new front rotor that I'm thinking about going for but I like to do brakes in pairs when applicable. info as always is appreciated. I guess I'll try those crossreferances again... Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts