Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An opportunity has fallen into my lap to pick up a 1982 KZ250. It'd be a fun lilttle starter bike for my kids and something for me to play with on the wrench side. My question is, does anyone have anything positive or negative about these bikes. The guy selling it said that the belt went bad, apparetly they are belt driven, and he converted to to chain and sprocket. He said he rode it as his commuter vehicle for a year and at $5 per month in gas, it was great.

I'm most likely going to pick it up no matter what but I want to know what I'll face when I do.

DANKA

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Sorry spok I can't help ya as I am not familiar with the bike. I'm sure you'll enjoy getting it going and your kids will love ya for it. :)

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
yeah, not sure on that one. does sound like a nice little bike for what you want it for. good luck with it and let us know how it goes. a couple more years and i'll be looking to do the same for my kids.

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ispeed77 said:
yeah, not sure on that one. does sound like a nice little bike for what you want it for. good luck with it and let us know how it goes. a couple more years and i'll be looking to do the same for my kids.
The way I look at it, the price of $350 for a small running bike that if it happens to be dropped or hits a mailbox, won't peeve me as much as if I put my kids on a new'r suzuki 250 or similar that costs above the $2k mark....I'm gonna go look this weekend at it and most likely, as I said, if it runs as well as stated, i'll pick it up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Spok,If he's asking $350.00,why don't ya offer him $300.00 for it? You don't have nothing to loose!! I learned several years ago ,never just go ahead and give someone the price they want for something! He told ya what he wants,now tell 'em what you're give'em!! Just think! you just bought that "lil" bike for $300.00! You just got yourself a deal! I hear ya Spok,Go Boy!! See Ya,

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
spok said:
The way I look at it, the price of $350 for a small running bike that if it happens to be dropped or hits a mailbox, won't peeve me as much as if I put my kids on a new'r suzuki 250 or similar that costs above the $2k mark....I'm gonna go look this weekend at it and most likely, as I said, if it runs as well as stated, i'll pick it up.
sounds like a plan to me !

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agreed, depending on the weather, snowing right now...I'll play monty hall on him

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up an '82 KZ250 myself in May, it belonged to a friend of my brother's. The bike has been sitting since '94 and the carb was nasty but other than a few tank dents and a no key it was in great shape. Still haven't fired her up as I am waiting on a manual (ebay is my friend in the this case). But it is the perfect size for me to re-learn old skills on and use for work. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked one up for 200 the other day, it only has 3,000 miles on it, but was missing the tank!! Anybody know what other tanks may work on this?? I got this for my wife to start riding on!!

·
KZ geezer
718 Posts
You could contact member KZ250LTD over at KZRider.com. He has owned one for years, and posted a few pics in their gallery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An opportunity has fallen into my lap to pick up a 1982 KZ250. It'd be a fun lilttle starter bike for my kids and something for me to play with on the wrench side. My question is, does anyone have anything positive or negative about these bikes. The guy selling it said that the belt went bad, apparetly they are belt driven, and he converted to to chain and sprocket. He said he rode it as his commuter vehicle for a year and at $5 per month in gas, it was great.

I'm most likely going to pick it up no matter what but I want to know what I'll face when I do.

DANKA
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to change a 1982 Kz 250 belt drive to a chain because i cant find the front drive gear anywhere. can anyone help its for a friend in combat i want it done before he comes home

1 - 12 of 12 Posts