Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gotten my 1982 KZ 440 LTD running, but I have a problem that I know someone here has experience with. The bike starts and idles, but seems to want to only use one cylinder. A compression check of the engine showed it to be within 5 lbs of new engine spec in each cylinder, which makes sense as it only has 11K miles on it. I've pulled the plug and see spark on each plug. Changing plugs seemed to get the other cylinder running, but when I open the throttle to about 3 - 4000 rmps, there is a nasty racket that seems to come from the lower front part of the engine. A non Kawasaki motorcycle friend said he thinks that it has something to do with the cylinder not firing properly and the balancer mechanism counter weights, trying to compensate for a misfire at a higher speed. Of course this is his opinion.

I am interested in getting a second opinion from someone who is knowledgeable on Kawasaki's as he is not. Especially if you've lived this problem and fixed it before.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
KAWASAKI

Take it by the shop and ask them...information is free. Once you know the mechanic perhaps having him come over nad really checking the thing out will cost you a 12pack for him to sort out...worse case scenario, take it in and have them do what needs to be done to it. It's an awesome bike and worthy of being rebuilt...How many miles on it (11K)...and are you reving it or actually riding it when this noise occurs...I'd change the oil and filter and then take it slowly out on the road and see what happens in a parking lot and ride it very casual at first to see what is happening...with that many , lack of miles on it you may just have lots of carbon built up and need to just ride it. Have a tuneup done and they will definately have some answers for you...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts