Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Very little do I know about bikes. How do I know if it's a KZ or not? my deal claims not to have an LTD 550 in their system, soooo... do i just assume it's a KZ? I don't see any markings on it... But this is not my problem.

I have ZERO power right now. in someone elses thread I had posted something... should have been posted here... My bad. So, I have changed a fuse that had gone over the winter, which is odd on it's own since I live in a really cold part of Canada and I don't use it during the winter, so I had changed the fuse, rode the bike for 3 days and one morning it chugged out on my mid ride, and no power again... My dealer is no help at all since they can't seem to find a Voltage regulator in their system to order, or even look up to see if they have the part. is there a specific name that it goes by? or am I out to lunch... any help would be great.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
My dealer is no help at all since they can't seem to find a Voltage regulator in their system to order, or even look up to see if they have the part. is there a specific name that it goes by? or am I out to lunch... any help would be great.
First off, you need a real dealer, or at least a real mechanic.
Second, why would you think the voltage reg is bad? Nothing you vaguely described in your post would point to that.

·
KZ geezer
718 Posts
Isn't any part of Canada too cold to ride in the winter
Depends where you live - in my case I live in a semi-arid area near the northern tip of the Sonoran Desert and I try to ride at least monthly throughout the winter. Didn't quite make it last December and January though, but got out full bore in February. My avatar pic of my 550 was taken on New Years Day 2004.
Best thing to do when starting out with, and trouble shooting an older bike is obtain a copy of the factory service manual or Clymer service manual off eBay or elsewhere and become familiar with the bike's fuel and ignition systems, as well as the parts diagrams and part numbers on Kawasaki.com.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just finished with a simular problem. I have a KZ1000E shaft drive. I looked through the wiring harnes, and the light bulbs. My headlight had had one blade brake off was causing a short. More than likely you will have to look through your electrical system and see what is causing it. I would bet a wire is pinched or a bulb is bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had two separate problems that were similar on my KZ750H1. First, was a broken wire from the alternator to the regulator. I don't know how it happened, but one of the wires broke, which I verified with a volt meter and then replaced it.

The second problem was as the one above - a short in the headlight housing, and it would blow the fuse like a charm after a bump. That one I never tracked down exactly, but found all exposed wires and taped electrical tape around all the exposed parts. I guess if I want to do it right, I should rewire some of this, but this works fine for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, you need a real dealer, or at least a real mechanic.
Second, why would you think the voltage reg is bad? Nothing you vaguely described in your post would point to that.
haha, ya a real dealer would be sweet, I'm in Northern Saskatchewan. it gets about -40 at it's worst and slowly rises to that and falls from it, lots of cold, lots of snow.

My forum research lead me to believe it was the voltage regulater because of the very similar stories, but now these people gave me much more ideas to look into.... Much appreciated fella's. Apparently Kawasaki cut costs by using cheap wiring so it could be the problem.

As I should have posted, I'm an 'uber' noob to bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts