Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REadings are as follows.The bike was rode about 15 minutes before testing and all plugs removed before test. Same amount per cylinder (8)strokes.

1. readings with all plugs out 140_90_102_120 psi
2.readings with a bottle cap of oil into cylinders 170_110_130_160 psi
3. readings with full throttle. 190_175_205_170 psi

History is there is 4800 miles and I removed jug,head and piston rings to replace bad base gasket.This is where I screwed it up.When I was told that the rings were 76 dollars from local store I put the old ones back in and no they were not put in were them came out of (I know!).SEcond mistake is i had the cam timing wrong and bent #1 intake.Its getting better because I bought a new valve and then lapped them with lapping compound using a drill and rubber hose on valve in both directions.
I am at 2.10 shim size on the # 1 intake and the smallest one listed in the Kawasaki service manual I bought (only right thing) is 2.05.Should i look for a used head on ebay and does it seem like the problem might just be in the mismatched rings???

Alot of stupid mistakes by a newbee but I have had the bike since it was new but it sat for about 17 years before thius happened in april of 2004.It appears to run good but I want it right.Any leads on a godd place to get a head and or rings outher than Kawasaki?

Thanks for reading,

Cheers!!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
yamaha10_5 said:
REadings are as follows.The bike was rode about 15 minutes before testing and all plugs removed before test. Same amount per cylinder (8)strokes.

1. readings with all plugs out 140_90_102_120 psi
2.readings with a bottle cap of oil into cylinders 170_110_130_160 psi
3. readings with full throttle. 190_175_205_170 psi

History is there is 4800 miles and I removed jug,head and piston rings to replace bad base gasket.This is where I screwed it up.When I was told that the rings were 76 dollars from local store I put the old ones back in and no they were not put in were them came out of (I know!).

SEcond mistake is i had the cam timing wrong and bent #1 intake.Its getting better because I bought a new valve and then lapped them with lapping compound using a drill and rubber hose on valve in both directions.
I am at 2.10 shim size on the # 1 intake and the smallest one listed in the Kawasaki service manual I bought (only right thing) is 2.05.Should i look for a used head on ebay and does it seem like the problem might just be in the mismatched rings???
Any leads on a godd place to get a head and or rings outher than Kawasaki?

Thanks for reading,

Cheers!!
1. ya always check it with the throttle OPEN the whole way and you crank it over till the pressure on the guage stops going up
2. you not putting the rings back into the same cylinder was a BIG mistake,that is mainly your problem since they are not seating to the cylinder walls. you MAY be able to run it for awhile and get the rings to RE-SEAT but i doubt it
3. pull the cylinders, bore them out to next size piston and put new rings/pistons in it. you MAY be able to hone the cylinders,put in new rings and be fine also. have a machine shop check it out for ya.
4. as long as the valve actually lapped in correctly (the contact area is in the middle of the face on the valve)and doesnt leak, you may be ok (did you test it to make sure it doesnt leak)
5. as long as you can get the valves into spec you should be ok there also. this will also make a difference in your compression readings
theres no reason to another head etc. you can just use what you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts