Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I have a 1983 Kawasaki kz550 LTD that is shaft driven. It's been sitting for many years but it did run before I put it away. I know for sure I need to clean the carburetors and clean the gas tank. And I'm also planning on replacing the fuel lines and all that type of stuff. My question about the carburetors is really confusing me because I've been looking online for rebuild kits and it seems to me that my carburetors are different from what I'm finding online. The top of my carburetors are round and a lot of the carburetor kits that I see online have top gaskets that are in a rectangular shape and they don't seem to match what I'm needing. Also I have an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust that I bought years ago that needs to go on the bike and I am not sure if I need different Jets to accommodate that exhaust or if I can just stick with stock. And I'm also not sure about what I need to do to adjust them after I clean them and rebuild them. I've never rebuilt carburetors before but I'm willing to learn and I want to learn how to do it properly. I appreciate any help and advice you can give me. Also my bike seems to not be in most of the repair manuals that I can find they all list carburetors that are rectangular in shape on the top instead of having the round covers like I have.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look at a 82 550 gpz manual. The 80's 550 used both slide valve carbs. and CV carbs. My 80 and 82 Kz550's had the rectangular slide valves, but my 82 gpz550 has CV/ round tops. I am not sure at what year the LTD model switched to CV style. Chapmoto.com had a parts breakdown for the 82 550gpz h1 it should have a breakdown of the parts. Jets may be different but the breakdown should be similar.

youtube can be your friend for CV carb cleaning and repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts