Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forums here,
I'm thinking about buying a 1983 kawasaki KZ550 LTD shaft drivin. It's in pretty good shape about 14000 miles on it.. but needs new front and rear tire. The kid bought it in 1997. Rode it for awhile but really hasn't rode lately. He's kept it in a garage. Says it has a fairly new battery. Changed the oil about 6 months ago. Seats in really good condition, not really any rust. It's in running condition. I was just wondering how much u guys would pay for one since it needs a new tire and prob. a tune up. I was also wondering if anybody has heard anything good or bad about this bike. And one more question how much money I should expect to put into the motorcycle. For say insurance, tune up, etc.
Thanks again for all your guys help,
Brad

·
Registered
18 Posts
a couple things you might consider... you will need to have the carb(s) gone thru, tune up to get my 1989 600r back to speed was 180.00. whats up with the reg.... I live in California and that was the killer... I payed 300.00 to get the tags current (fines suck!!) You dont have to deal with a chain or belt so that is a good thing. I haven't heard anything bad with that bike, I know they made that model only 4 years (80-84), it is a nice cruiser. I looked up some sales of like bikes and found a range of 800 to 1500. These were in good or better shape. With what you are looking at, I would offer 500. Good luck. Oh,,if you do buy it,, include an oil change eventhough you were told that was done... better safe.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice,
Yeah Im in IL and I dont know what the standards are on emissions. That's a good idea about the oil change too. I know the kid said he wanted around $1000 if he put on a new front tire. But I mean for a 1983 bike I couldn't see it going for more than that. esp. since he didn't ride it constantly.

Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts