Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 kz550 that takes forever to warm up! I have to wait about 5 minutes even when it's nice out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

5 minutes isn't much - it takes mine that long

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even when it's nice out? I guess I"m not used to it - I just got this bike and before this I had an old honda cb550 that didn't need any time to warm up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '82 kz750 took awhile as well. That's just the deal with the older bikes....or maybe it was those cold San Francisco summers!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is it still at factory settings, with the air box and factory setting on the pilot jets?

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
cold starts

It takes my 81 KZ550 about that long also. Yes ;even when it is warm out.
Mack :roll:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
COLD

It could be just cold blooded...as soon as you get the bike started remove the choke as soon as it will run on its own aafter you rev it up to clear the cylinders of the gas in them...running on the choke will cause it to run cold and also foul out the plugs and carbon things up...Another thing to check is that you are running the proper oil...try a 10-40 synthetic...and check your spark plugs to be sure that they are the right ones for your bike...if you are off by just one heat range it could do the same thing, run to cool. IF you were racing...then you might want to go to a cooler plug...but I don't think that this is the case...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts