Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just found a 1984 1100 LTD with 18000 miles on the side of the road the other day, for free! Hasn't been run in a year in a half according to the previous owner. Started off by cleaning out the fuel tank and carbs. Started her up today for the first time and the motor runs great! But it seems like with all good news, there's always some bad news. Went to shift from first to second and realized something was wrong. The transmission wouldn't shift up past neutral. No clicking or anything. Neutral works fine, and down to first is fine. But there's absolutely nothing above neutral. Shifter feels as though you're in top gear and just stays in neutral. I'm an auto tech. but don't have any experience with motorcycle transmissions, yet. Any thoughts? Does the motor have to come out, and the case be split in order to access the gears, shift forks, ect, or can they be slid out of an access port on one of the sides of the transmission? Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Yup, you're splitting the cases... Great bike though, had one myself way back when.... Wasn't crazy about the shaft drive (they are much better now) but it's a strong bike. There are salvage yards all over the country that should be able to help you out with parts, don't expect much from ma Kaw.

·
Registered
22 Posts
beforeyou split the cases check for an opstruction at the lever.if clear , you may get lucky and its the shift mech..the shift detent is what rotates the shift drum and is usually located behind the clutch basket.check your manual for proper location and take your time..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts