Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have just replaced the top end gaskets on a GPz1100a and now after rebuilding it I cant get the thing started again...

So far the only things that got replaced were the gaskets and i thought i put the cam timing back normal (EX -> pointing to head and 44 links to the IN <- ) but i cant seem to start the thing. Although I don't have the FI manual its a KZ1100 one I'm using, the timing seems to look the same as all my other GPz's I've played with.

Im a computer nerd by day and play with motors by night so im no pro yet but I'm learning, ive tried swapping cam timing around and around but can't seem to get it to run, at one stage we had cyl's 1&4 running but 2&3 weren't. Spark is strong on all cylinders and all plugs are wet with fuel so it doesnt seem to be a problem there...

I've been told the CDI ignition has no variance on it yet i find i can move the pickups around slightly (they had to be replaced from the previous owner dropping it) will movement on these be enough to stop it from starting/running?

One thing i don't have at the moment is an air filter for it (**** Kawasaki AU and their lack of old parts) I'm waiting for that to be sent from O/S, I remember a friends GPz900 not wanting to start without one will that happen to this bike too? This is killing me I'm so close to having something decent to ride again!

Cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im doing it on TDC 1 & 4 does 180 mean should i be doing it on 2&3?

Edit- duh i get ya cams 180 out, ok have fixed that, can only push start it ATM but its not running right, real rough wont idle/ got almost no power, struggle to ride it in gear...

Could i be 1 tooth off on the cams or would it not run at all then? Is it most likely something haywire with CDI pickups?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
When you have 1&4 TDC check the index mark down by the magnetic pickups. The T next to the F1-4 should be at the index mark.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you have 1&4 TDC check the index mark down by the magnetic pickups. The T next to the F1-4 should be at the index mark.

Yeah im using the timing mark on the crank to line it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah t 1,4 and just t for 2,3

But i figured it out in the end, i was 2 teeth off with the timing, i had the marks sitting horizontal to the ground not horizontal to the motor, sat them right and she fired perfect! Woo hoo i have a real bike again yay!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts