Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1984 zn1100 ltd and i have been having trouble running the bike. I can only start the bike with the choke out and if i put it in it just slowly dies also the bike likes to randomly start smoking a bit not out of the exhuast. The person i bought it from drained the gas tank and it was sitting for 18months. Dont really know what to do would love some advice.

·
Registered
806 Posts
This is a 37 year vehicle..... Would you buy a 37 year old car and expect it to run just fine? Many things would need refreshing if not a downright restoration.

.......To start, after sitting 18 month, the first thing I would do is give carburators a thorough cleaning, and change everything rubber,... this a most on these old bikes,..... and then see what else gives.....there will be more.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
The symptoms you describe indicate plugged carburetor jets. Check the date code on the tires, you do not want to risk your life to old, hardened rubber that won't grip the pavement. Of course you should change the oil and filter but I would also replace the brake fluid and inspect all brake components.

Random smoking is probably just an oil leak. You may need the replace and reseal the half-moon shaped camshaft end caps. Best of luck. Its a great bike when it runs right. Lots of low end grunt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts