Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I want your advice on an 1985 GPZ900.

I am looking for a supplement bike to my Harley. Like my dad has a sports car to compliment his truck, I want a sport bike to compliment my Harley. To be honest when I was in 8th grade like a lot of boys I thought dirt bikes were cool but my mom bought be Top Gun as a gift. Now we do not need to get into Tom's personal life or acting or the 80s cheese etc. But that is when I feel in love with street bikes. So I was on FB Market place and saw one listed for 3500 looks in good shape. I have not asked any questions on it yet just looking to see what you guys say first. I know older bikes have issues but I read a lengthy post on another forum and it seemed to suggest these bikes had way more issues than I thought. So what do you guys think lets say its in very good condition low miles good up keep etc? Would this bike be a good buy to put a couple thousand miles a year on when I want a sport bike instead of cruise? Or would it be better to buy a newer bike and save this one for more collecting/nostalgia vs ride a lot?

Thanks guys hopefully you 900r owners can give me sound advice.

·
itching to ride
2,235 Posts
I never heard of older bikes having more issues than normal. If you are speaking particularly of the 900 Ninja then I do not know but I have never heard of that being the case. I never had a Ninja but did have a GPz 750 for awhile and it was really reliable. My present bike is half a Ninja basically which means it is two cylinders from the original 900 where Kwasaki decided to make a cruiser with a twin. It has been more reliable than I have in that I have neglected it quite a bit and it still runs fine.

As far as the original Ninja 900 I believe there are still a few on here that own them and some should chime in before long. As for me there is nothing like riding and maintaining a classic bike. A lot of us learned to work on bikes because we picked up an older bike and found it cheaper and more satisfying to do the work ourselves instead of trusting someone else to. It is like having a classic car. You really do not want others working on it but you find satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
210 Posts
Kawpaul, I completely agree with what you've said. I have not had a Ninja 900 but have several GPz 750's and have over the past 20 years not experienced any 'daunting' issues with them. The worst thing that has happened is the starter clutch failing on one bike. Its not an easy fix but it can be fixed. I've said this before, the engineering that Kawasaki put into these bikes is superb considering the price they sold for in the day. That being said, things do wear out and to keep a vintage bike on the road requires the owner to do most of the necessary work himself.
I'm quite satisfied with the power a 750 has for the type of riding I do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love the looks of the GPZ900 and am building one from the ground up for nostalgia purposes. That said it was the first in a long line of sportbikes build around that basic engine and later ZXs had superior performance in every respect; stronger brakes, stiffer, more stable suspension (no complicated and difficult to maintain anti-dive), more horsepower, etc.

If I were you look for a ZX11, you will not be disappointed in the performance and cost will be comparable.

Make sure to update the alternator chain tensioner with the product by www.expensiveightweightstuff.com the original design can fail and destroy your clutch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go to gpzzone in the UK, the owners on there are helpful and will give you an honest assessment of what to look for when buying a 900.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go to gpzzone in the UK, the owners on there are helpful and will give you an honest assessment of what to look for when buying a 900.
They're not shipping until further notice.

I suggest OP look for a more modern example such as ZRX1100/1200 or ZX11D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts