Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I really need an advise on my new bike. First, if any of you live around Chicago and love bikes and want to look at my bike that would be awesome.
Anyways. I have bought 1985 1100 LTD and it runs rough. Bike is from original owner and it has been in storage for last two years. The owner says it is a gas that is in a tank (old and mixed with stabilizer)??? Here are my questions:

1. How do you check exactly what engine do I have like kz1100 or zn1100 a,b J1 ect. I have a manual but I don’t know what I’m looking at?
2. What would be best repair manual for that year and engine type. (I have old book from 1982 made by Clymer)
3. What is that valve thing right beneath the gas tank on the left side? It says “Res” something else in the middle and opposite to “Res” is “ON” and if it’s what I think it is which way would point to “ON” longer valve handle or shorter side.
4. Originally for first two days (I got the bike last Sunday) it ran but engine was backfiring also during fast accelerations it died. Yesterday it wouldn’t start and battery died. Could it be because of old gas in the tank mixed with stabilizer for passed two years? What should I check for?
5. BIG question: How do you take the seat off the bike to gain access to air filter and battery. My freaking book doesn’t show it.
6. Can I use Mobile 1 full synthetic oil 10w30 when I do oil change.?
7. Can I use fuel injector cleaner (one you just pour to gas tank) without harming anything?
8. WHERE DO YOU BUY PARTS FOR THESE BIKES??? Ebay has some but I can’t find air filter ect.
9. Is there reference sheet that would point out what parts are essentially same from other bikes that can be interchanged?

I am mechanically able but so far I just worked on cars only. I believe I can fix anything but with a good repair manual and the one I got has so many different models, years on a top of it I don’t know what I have. So to all you good people and mechanics please help me. If it is too much to write please call my cell 1 312 404 7238. I live North Chicago Sub. Wheeling Illinois. Bike is there and I’m stuck now. You can see the bike on Ebay # 2468740301 (if its still there). PLEASE HELP I JUST WANT TO RIDE IT!!! :? :? :twisted:

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont own an 1100, but I can help you with a few of your questions and give you a few suggestions.

2. You should prolly be able to get a new manual off ebay or other places on the internet.

3. That valve is the petcock it allows feul to go from the tank to the carbs. The Res stands for reserve when normally riding switch it to on, when it starts sputtering flip to reserve and you should be able to ride a few miles to the next gas station to fill up. When you put the bike up switch it to off. On most petcocks the longer side denotes what position it is on.

4. It is possible the old gas is cuasing this problem you need to drain that gas and put in fresh gas. It is recommended you do this even if teh bike has only been sitting a few months let alone 2 years. Another possible reason for backfiriing is that it is in need of a valve job because the valves arent sealing correctly anymore.

5. Usually there is a lock or a switch that will allow you to flip up or take off the seat.

6. Full synthetic shouldnt hurt it but it is usually considered best to use synthetic blend because full sythetic can cause clutch slippage.

7. I wouldnt use the feul injector cleaner because (a) you dont have feul injection you have carburetors and (b) some of those type of additives are known to eat away teh rubber seals in teh carbs. It is best that you just take off the carbs and give them a good thorough cleaning if not a complete rebuild.

8. To get parts you can go to ebay. Also Kawasaki dealerships can prolly get you some of teh harder to find parts but they will prolly be pricey. Also check out bikebandit.com for parts.

Good luck,
Albert Montgomery

·
Registered
91 Posts
hEY, IT'S THE BLUE e-BAY BIKE. I have one but it is red. That has the hard bags and fairing. it looked nice. Can I ask what you paid for it?????
I paid $850 but mine was an outside stored bike and no bags or fairings. those add a few $$$$$.... to me at least. If you don't like them let me know.

OK MOST likely you have a b2. I doubt it was a Cali bike as the ebay description says he lived in Wis Cali is a b1L or b2L b1 was an 84 b2 is 85
most reliable description you can give people is as " kawasaki 1100 LTD shaft drive b2 " when looking for service or parts. that is what I google when looking stuff up.

I know it is spring and you REALLY want to ride but you may want to take it to a dealer or some other bike shop in the area if you can't clear it up with a few tanks of gas like mine did, I used fuel injector/carb cleaner in mine. Get the one that says it has " jet fuel " AKA kerosene albeit slightly cleaner. My local shop has a 1 month waiting list for carb and other major work. 1 week or so on oil change and stuff. But seriously, $300 or $400 at a bike shop getting your carbs rebuilt and syncronized will be the best money you spend..... If they do a good job you will swear they are gods. If they have a dyno test. josh em into proving their work and giving your bike a run on the dyno. it should in great perfect shape produce 101hp at 8000 rpm. Don't think our 20 year old bike will still do it but who knows???

Also. If you use fuel injector cleaner remember a bottle treats 10 to 15 gallons our tank is about 4.1 gallons use about 1/4 of the bottle. measure it out. Your bike will also prolly smoke some with this in the gas. and possibly foul out the spark plugs. so try clean gas only at 1st

Another reason not to do your own carb work is that it will cost at least $225 new to replace one of those carbs if you fubar something :) I am still planning on taking mine in for service but it runs ok enough to live through the wait.

Check your plugs. There should be 4 NKG B8ES plugs. Replace them just off hand unless the previous owner says he did recently and then still replace them. in your tool bag there is a plug tool when reinstalling thread by hand 2 or 3 turns and make sure they are straight, then gently continue using a wrench.

Drain and replace gas with the good stuff. 91 + octane. Or at least add good gas to the old.
don't bother playing with it till you put a few gallons in it. it holds 4.1 gallons.

drain and replace your oil after you have ran it to warm it up a bit ( my original owner manual says that )

charge your battery with a 1 or 2 amp charger over night. DON'T use a ten amp charger not even to boost while playing with the bike. it may be 20 years old but a new starter is still $300 and a rebuild is $180. I rebuilt mine for the price of $50 bucks but it can run a lot higher. hit the starter 5 seconds and allow 15 seconds between attempts. If it sounds like it is slowing down when turning over then give it about an hour break. did I say replace the battery? do that too. it's like $30 bucks at wal-mart

ALSO ALSO.... Motorcycle batteries are not car batteries in that they do not crank crank crank for a long time.

Anyway when starting the bike, use full choke and don't touch the throttle for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Mine dies at times with the choke on and then won't start. Set choke in ( off ) and attempt it then. It should sputter a little and die ( clearing flooded condition} . Now put the choke back on and it should start. I start out riding on half choke and then go to no choke. it is a very cold bike meaning I ride a lot in city in half choke. it's gonna get serviced for that though.

****valve under tank you mentioned. It has 3 settings. It is a vacum accuatted petcock. On is ON when the motor is running. It is also off when the motor is off.

PRI. this setting is for priming the carbs when you have run outa gas. DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE ON PRI. I say that from experience cause you might be hoofing it to the gas station. A buddy had to ride ahead for some gas :). refilled tank. left on pri for about a minute to refill carb bowls. Set back to ON and bike MAGICALLY started.

Res is for reserve. Since we have the same bike you have slightly less than 1 gallon of fuel when gas gauge reads about 1\4 tank at a stop. You have about 25 to 35 miles to get to a fuel stop at this point. mileage varies
bike will sputter to a stop in the ON position very soon and you will need to set it to prime for about 30 seconds and set it to RES it should start.....

****** seat removes by.
1 open tool pouch at rear of bike
1A get a bowl or something for screws.
1b get me a beer.

2. remove the tool pouch. you chould have most of what you need to do easy stuff in this.
3. remove the 4 philils scews in the plastic tool box removing it from the back rest.
4. remove the 2 screws from the passenger backrest removing the back rest.
5. remove the 2 10mm bolts from the rear of the seat that attatch it to the backrest assembly.
5a. Still waiting on the beer.
lift seat at rear and slide it back.
voila.

Thats all I have for now. This can be a VERY fast bike. Note there are a lot of newer bikes that will get going fast faster than you.... but very few will leave you behind. Ride to your abilities and DON'T drag race anyone it's a 20 year old bike. If you don't know bikes then have someone go over it with you to show you what to inspect.

Always drive as though the car in front is gonna stop and the guy at your side is gonna pull into your lane.

Hope it helps some. I know I rambled some. Keep posting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,

Thanks for the responses. Today I will try few things that you guys have mentioned. I'll definitely get the seat out. I will try to post later today cuz I have more questions now :wink:

Anyway the bike was $1400; that was his reserved price and that what I bought it for. It says in his auction that he would deliver it up to 200 miles, so I figured out that the bike can't be in BAD condition plus it looked good from the pictures. I hope this is minor problem and I can finally feel the wind while I'm speeding away...shoot I'm still dreaming :( I hope it is that gas. Anyway I get out from work today at 5:30 should be home in a hour some food and I'll be on my way to the parking lot very much determined 8) to do what I have to do. You know it was not enough to convince my mom and my brother and some of my friends and definitely not my girlfriend that riding a bike is fun and could be safe now I have to deal with this. But what a hell, I will ride it even if I have to push it around parking lot :evil: I will keep you posted.
I will follow the steps closely as to how to take a seat of and prepare few beers :D

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all,

Fist of all, thank you all for the info. I guess internet is the great way of solving some of your problems because of people like you. Anyway I have fixed my bike and it is running like new. No more back firing or misfiring or what ever was doing before. I have changed spark plugs and bike just started running and never stopped. I called in sick yesterday to work so I could work on it, instead I rode it all day long and even cold weather could not wipe the smile off my face. I just love power on this bike it’s devilish and when I ride it I just want to go whoo ha ha ha whoooo ha ha ha. I will change oil to semi blend. I saw white milkshake looking thing in my oversight glass. I guess this bike was a real deal and I love it. Can't wait till I get off from work because today is warm and riding is going to be a pleasure. I need helmet, jacket and gloves. By the way does any body has opinion on helmets. I want a full face not too expensive. If I get it black will it cook my head summer time? Happy riding all!!!

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cool Cool Cool. Glad to hear another 1100 ltd is back on the roads.
I don't condone doing unsafe things but it is fast isn't it?. I have toned down my riding A LOT as I get less than 100 miles a tank zooming around the coutry the way I do. But you will easily stay ahead of those moron drivers in the Chicago area, you excuded of course my friend.....

Do me a favor, let me know what type of fairing you got on that thing.
Any numbers or names will be cool.

Isn't it amazing what new plugs do?

Sounds like you have a case of BlueSky Fever. You will definately need to see the doctor about that. It can be VERY dangerous. I hear you have to ride all day to get rid of it. Something about blowing the germs off??????

HJC has some reasonable prices for helmets

Well, happy and safe riding

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love happy endings! Makes me all mushy inside. :cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would agree Chicago drivers are divided between two groups crazy maniacs :twisted: and grandma grandpa Sunday drivers 8) . Put them together on the street and you have a challenging day :evil: On the top non of these groups respects bikers :evil:

I will have to get used to the speed cuz I'm trigger ("throttle") happy. I used to drive, I would say young and stupid but this bike definitely gets me in touch with my old feelings.

I got some quotes on the insurance for this bike I'm 27 no accidents. The lowest I got was $210 full year. No body seemed to have 6 months and if they did was only $20 bucks cheaper. Is it normal?

I'm also glad to see more people with 1100 ltd that’s good. I thought I bought one of those dinosaurs that no body knows of :wink:

Yeah this summer is definitely looking good. Today Chicago hit 75F. I would love to ride bike at night with worm air hitting your face. You know those nights that if you stand still it's hot and humid but when your on bike going 20...hmm... 55... sometimes 70 :wink: just awesome.

The plugs I have installed are NKD Iridium. I did install them also on my car and worked fine for passed 50,000 miles and still going. They don't wear out as much and can stand lot more heat. It is worth it and I would recommend it.

Hey woundworth you can still check the pictures of my bike on EBay, I believe. EBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...6710&item=2468740301&sspagename=STRK:MEBDW:IT

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woundwort never mind for that ebay staff I guess you have already seen it. :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
:D It's woundwort as in the big mean a$$ rabbit in Watership Down, if you have ever read the book.

I don't know about anyone else and I really had not ridden much in 15 years but this bike is fast. I am afraid to climb past 120mph at the moment but there is so much more string left on the rope. but remember. There are many more newer bikes out there that can get there even quicker.

Anyway. Did you talk to the previous owner much about the bike? It's blue which I think is custom as I think the bike that year came only in the dark red color mine is and black in Canada. Not sure on the canada thing though.

Is that a Stiletto fairing? I want one for mine.
Hard bags would be cool also. You see any brand markings on your hard bags?? let me know.

Tomorrow I go order my carb mount boots & fork seals and other assortment of parts. Anyone have opinions on Leak Proof brand seals????
I found a performance oriented bike shop that I am gonna start using instead of the Kawi dealer. One of the sales men is just a sales man, doesn't even ride. Pfffft. I am gonna buy from a brochure man? NOT

I know a chick up in St. Charles. Maybe if I can sucker her into a movie or something we can hook up around there this summer.

Happy riding

·
Registered
1 Posts
This site is cool

Folks-

Just found this site and am way impressed. I just picked up an 83 Kaw 1100 Ltd L1 for $200 from a neighbor. Haven't tried getting it running yet. No noticeable problems other than that. I'm just missing the right side cover. I'm a first time biker and looking forward to it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome Tex.

Glad to see so many 1100 ltd still out there.

Take your time working on it. There are many things that can burn up or just break on an old bike. We can work around most of it with a little patience and info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Answer on your zn ltd 1100 I found a place in Longmont,Co called Boulder bike works Motorcycle salvage 1-888-448-8656 I also have a 1985 ltd zn 1100 I am working on this bike hope to have it up and running by 6/07 mine has been sitting to for a while i may need the carbs cleaned I have been doing a little at a time also when you get the answer on what you call this bike let me know and when you find out the fuel switch let me know they seem to be a nice bike i have the faring and rear saddle cases well let me know and I will let you know Thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 for years....

with zero problems. It stands the Texas summer heat well. The proper weight should be on your oil filler cap. 10-30 sounds light. Every KZ I have ever seen uses 10-40. Need to drain the gas tank of old gas. Then fill it with at least mid grade gas. I use Chemtool B12 to clean my carbs and remove any water from the fuel system. Put in half a can to start. Be careful, these bikes have enough power to throw you right off the back if you don't have a good grip on the handlebars.......chris3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel additive

I have not heard of chemtool B12 are you sugesting that I dont need to take the bike down to have the carbs cleaned Are you saying that I fill the tank then add the chemtoolB12 ??????:eek: if this is the way then it is much cheaper where do I purchase this product thanks for the help
Also I have been warned by others that this bike does have power do you know what the horse power is i went from a 400cc to the 1100cc 8)

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Guys, just so you know, this thread is three years old.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Guys, just so you know, this thread is three years old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea I just bought an 85 zn 1000 LTD Kawasaki about 2 years ago and had to overhaul carbs to get it right. No airfilters around have to use slip on for each carb, or make on yourself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Use motorcycle oil!!! Its better for the clutches

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
stage 3 cams
pod air filters
4-1 open exhaust(no muffler)
full rewire
dyna-s ignition