Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

My Kawasaki has this particular hiccups when just starting it. When starting it "fresh" meaning after 12 hours, next day ect. I always have to do that dance around it.
1. I put the key in on position
2. Pull the choke out, all the way out.
3. Start the engine

This is what happens next:

Sometimes, I mean only some times, I can hear crank noise from around gearbox. It sounds like you would try to start the bike while on the gear without clutch or maybe a starter is slipping. Generally speaking you can hear grind noise. If it won’t start after 5 sec I try again after some time.

Now, when the engine stars and it can only start on a full choke it will run like if you would turn your throttle up and down. The rpm's go up and down. Then when I put the choke half way in (generally after 15-20 sec.) RPM's go really high, like around 2500 and it fluctuates. If I would try to push the choke all the way in it would lower the rpm's to around 500 or less and eventually die.

After it worms up it runs OK around 850 sometimes 1100 rpms it really depends on a day but it keeps rpm's without too much fluctuations.

Questions:

1. What is the grinding noise I hear sometimes when I star the engine (it only happens for a second even if you keep starting it up) OK the sound is close to sound you would hear when starting a car while it is already running.
2. Is my hassle with rpm's and choke normal when the bike is cold. 65 F ambient. It does worst when colder outside.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update 1

Update to above.
I have ran my bike today. I have found that there is a knocking inside a carbs while engine runs irregularly and I think it only happens when I have choke out. The way I have checked it was I touched different parts of the engine and could feel the definite knocking from carbs. What could it be? Do I have to rebuild my carbs? If yes I saw a carb kit on Ebay 81-83 kawasaki kz1100 would that kit fit also my year and model (zn1100)? I just bought repair manual from www. repair manuals.com but I don't have it yet. It is comming next week. Oh I have also added carb cleaner to gas tank and rode my bike for many miles (it is almost empty now).
So far I have changed oil, oil filter, spark plugs and drive shaft oil. Thats all. like I said in the first post bike seems to run clean when wormed up and choke pushed all the way in.
What you guys think?
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sometimes mine makes that noise on the start attempt. More often when warmed up.

Choke:

I'd say idle about a minute or so on full choke when starting from over night
Mine too idles higher when coming in from full to half choke. I couldn't tell ya about no choke as mine won't idle very long at all with no choke. I'm waiting on parts to take the carbs off and clean them up.

The ticking noise or what ever the sound you hear when it's idling rough is just the engine it's self. Nothing to worry about I would say so long as it clears up when the idle smooths out.

Buy only the specific rebuild kits for your bike if you decide to rubuild them. It should have 4 mikuni BS34 carbs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts