Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is George, I am new to the group and have just acquired a rare 1985 Kawasaki ZN700a Ltd and have questions regarding how many were made in 84 and 85. I have scoured the web for answers and have found none. Also I have found barely any parts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I usually buy my new parts from partzilla. I bought my ZN700 in 2009 with only 1k miles on it. Now, it has only 6k miles. If you need a shop manual you need to look on ebay for the Kawasaki 82 - 87 KZ750 Shaft Motorcycle Service Manual and make sure you get the later edition that has a supplement for the ZN700. My manual is an 87 edition and has the ZN700 supplement. Ebay usually has some of the parts such as the rear signal lights. The rubber stalks are prone to breaking and I have had to replace all four of mine. I was able to find some used engine guards on ebay, and K&L carb parts, and fork seals, etc. Since these were only a 2 year run, there weren't many accessories made for this model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh yes and thank you for getting back to my question so soon, a manual is always the first thing I get when I buy a new/old bike but the ZN 700a doesn’t seem to exist but I do see the one for 750 shaft so thanks for that info. Also I’m having an issue with my starter slipping while cranking so not sure if I’ll need a completely new one or not till I get it off the bike. I’ve went through EBay’s entire selection of parts for the ZN 700a Ltd and there is not much to speak of. I was curious if some of the parts from the 750 or Vulcans interchange?

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
Greetings George and welcome to the club.

I also have one of those rare ZN bikes. Mine is an 84 ZN1100. Actually I have found that places like Partzilla and Z1 Enterprises have a surprising amount of stock for ZN's. Certain things like side covers, decals and the battery holder are NLA but I can even get a gas tank for it if I needed one.

The nice thing about Partzilla is that they will tell you what other bikes used any particular part, so if it is not available as new, this can help with your search for a used one.

To find out how many ZN700's were made go to Cyclechaos. They will show you the starting VIN number of 1984 and for 1985. Subtraction of the two gives you production for model year 1984. The problem is that since production ended in 1985 you cannot get an end number for 1985. But based on 1984's production you can make an educated guess.

I don't think there was any huge difference between the ZN700A1 and the A2. What parts do you need?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts