Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am hoping someone can give me a touch of advice. I have the above mentioned bike and I'm not sure if I part it out or fix it. I have looked for the electrical parts i know it needs and find all but the main relay. Is there a way to bypass the relay to find out if the ignition/checks out? It has no carbs so I dont want to spend a ton if the electrics are shot. Pick up checks out stator is good. Also I think the fuse box may have had some water in it at one time can the circut board behind the fuses go bad because of this?
and if any of you know where I can find a set of carbs? the ones I got with it are for the 750 and wont work.
Thanks and I hope I've given you enough info (I read the please read) and yes I use a multi meter!

rskybiz

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Why won't the 750 carbs work? Throttle cable end don't match?

Run a wire from the battery to the 12 volt side of the coils without disconnecting any other wires and the ignition will be powered.

Use a jumper cable from the battery to the stud on the starter to crank it over.

You have Keihin or Mikuni 750 carbs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steell the carbs I have are the keihins, and they are wider than the boots. or if i could get them to stretch that far (doubtful) the boots would rip within no time. (and no thay are not in that bad of shape!)
And I ran the jumper to the hot side of the coils and cranked it over via wire from pos to lead from silinoid still no spark. However as I had asked about how to bypass the relays I 'm assuming that you know the relay is not in. would that cause no spark even with the above test?
also to note I have a broken diode as well so I am getting a couple new ones of those and the relays then I'll try again. on another weird note the blinkers work with the key off? I am cleaning all the grounds and eletrical connections including the handlebar switches. I will even test the switch. chasing electical issues is so much fun, with a bike ride in between to unwind!
Why won't the 750 carbs work? Throttle cable end don't match?

Run a wire from the battery to the 12 volt side of the coils without disconnecting any other wires and the ignition will be powered.

Use a jumper cable from the battery to the stud on the starter to crank it over.

You have Keihin or Mikuni 750 carbs?

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I looked at the "VN" and read it as "ZN" :)

Just looked at kawasaki.com parts diagrams and apparently the VN700 was a one year model? Seems that the carbs only fit that one year.

Scan eBay, do a used parts search (Old Bike Barn does it), that's my only ideas for the carbs.

On most kawasaki's with electronic ignition that I have seen, the coils and the igniter are fed from the same circuit, so generally, if you can get power to the coils the igniter will have power also. Igniter must have a good ground to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input! will be keeping my eyes open for a set of carbs. it's in to good a shape to part out.You think I could modify boots over boots and tweak it so they would fit? seems plausable to me.
One year model, yup! good or bad
keep ya posted.
I looked at the "VN" and read it as ZN" :)

Just looked at kawasaki.com parts diagrams and apparently the VN700 was a one year model? Seems that the carbs only fit that one year.

Scan eBay, do a used parts search (Old Bike Barn does it), that's my only ideas for the carbs.

On most kawasaki's with electronic ignition that I have seen, the coils and the igniter are fed from the same circuit, so generally, if you can get power to the coils the igniter will have power also. Igniter must have a good ground to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts