Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a used bayou and it ran perfect for a while but now it starts up and idles fine but when you give it gas it boggs down. you can tap the throttle a few times and it will rev up. the wierd thing is sometimes it revs up and once you let off it stays reved up and then returns to idle very slowly. ive soaked the carb in carb cleaner and put a rebuild kit in it and it still does it. im at wits end ive done all i know to do. ive read a few thing here on some things and everything i check seems good. the only thing i dont know how to check is the cdi, really not sure if you can check one. could a cdi cause such problems. any advice would be great....oh and one more thing i dont know if it matters is it will run through 1st gear.but put it in second and it dies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
response

took spark plug out and its black but still sparks good. It is a new spark plug. I cleaned it put it back in. got any suggestions on where to look for the leak. Ive check to see if it is a blown head gasket but cant feel or hear any air leaking. it wouldnt be leaking from around the spark plug would it.where should i look for the leak...thanks for the reply

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Is the sparky oily black or is it just black with carbon? Have you adjusted the fuel screw or the idle screw?

-I meant an air leak between the carb and the engine, but if you havent adjusted the fuel screw, it could be as simple as that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spark plug just black with carbon not oily at all. the boot that links the carb and the engine seems good ill take it off and check it over to see what it looks like for sure. the idle screw i did mess with but i have since put it at about 2 1/2 turn out which it where it idled the best at

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The 86 Bayou 300 has a vacuum valve under the round cover on the top of the carburetor. If that valve develops cracks the symptoms you describe will occur because the valve will either not open when the throttle is cracked, or will open reluctantly and stick, especially if during the rebuild carb cleaner was used on the valve itself. Only use light machine oil to clean the valve when cleaning the carb.

The valve is about $90 at places like Babbits Sports Center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply. the vacum looks to be in real good shape no holes or cracks. i think it might be in the intake boot. i took it apart today and although i couldnt find crack or holes in it, the o-ring and the insulator look pretty bad so i ordered the whole thing. i hope this fixes the problem. i am just about at the end of my sanity trying to figure this thing out. and was any other suggestions would be great. thanks again..............keep you fingers crossed for me..lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts