Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
I have a 1986 Bayou with new carb, coil, battery, piston&rings, spark plug. But it has lost spark completely and i cant figure out why. It started missing and backfiring, then just stopped firing. My knowledge had taken me as far as it can, i need help
  1. Only thing I can think of is maybe a bad magneto or coil failed. Greatly appreciate and tips or advice. Thanx.[

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings:
I have a 1986 Bayou with new carb, coil, battery, piston&rings, spark plug. But it has lost spark completely and i cant figure out why. It started missing and backfiring, then just stopped firing. My knowledge had taken me as far as it can, i need help
  1. Only thing I can think of is maybe a bad magneto or coil failed. Greatly appreciate and tips or advice. Thanx.[
Most likely the CDI box. The early ones (before '89) are flaky, and seem to draw moisture. Have some one tap on it while you crank and watch for spark. The other things you mentioned can go bad and need to be tested, of course. It's just the CDI seems to be a more common problem than the others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greatly appreciate all suggestions and feedback. Gives me a little more understanding of my bike. However, turns out the problem was corroded wire in the kill switch. Running fine again. Thanks everyone!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts