Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 Kawasaki Ninja zx6 troubleshooting

Okay guys i figured out how to measure my float level. I was wondering what would happen if the flow was to rich or not very much. I took it to a kawasaki mechanic and he told me it was the floats. Well what is happening when I start it and drive it is. First it takes for ever to start. Have to have the throttle all the way open. Then it finally fires off. I have to keep the choke all the way open until i can get enough throttle pulled back. Usually it just dies. Then when i finally got it idling. I tried to drive it and it drained the gas. Im not talking about a little at a time but a full tank gone in fifty miles. And it wouldn't get to right gear speed. And it cuts out really bad. I can also have the throttle all the way back in higher gears and it doesn't accelerate at all and stay the same speed. Sorry but i really would like to figure this out. But would all this mean it is running to rich.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Sounds like your carbs are in need of a rebuild and tune. I'd seriously doubt that it's burning a full tank in fifty miles so some of it must be going other places. I'd start looking for places/ways the fuel is going to. Like the airbox or crankcase or maybe even just dumping out the float bowl overflows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay..i don't really understand it though..i got it in june and it ran completely fine..then i thought i had to replace the stator and it just needed a battery but i sat for about two months and then i put in a new battery and when i tried to start it..thats when it started doing all this..

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
It could have some varnish buildup or trash in one or more float valves keeping them from closing off all the way. Have you noticed any gas fumes when your around the bike? Have you noticed and spots under the bike after it's been parked for a while or have you checked your oil level or smell the oil to see if there is any gas mixed with it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you try to start it it starts to smells like gas fumes..but there is an oil leak and i don't know if its just an o ring or what so im trying to figure out were its leaking, but thats the only thing under it..just oil leaking from the bottom..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts