Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy i'm new to the board but i will soon be the owner of a 1986 zx900. I want to convert into a streetfighter style like is coommon in europe. I was wondering how hard it would be to put like an 04 zx10 tail on it and maybe add like a streetfighter headlight. The options are endless im pretty good with a welder and am used to doing alot of modifications to metal etc. I'm wondering if anyone makes streetfighr style parts and how hard it would be to convert the tail and maybe adda hugger any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Johnnylaw353 said:
HEy i'm new to the board but i will soon be the owner of a 1986 zx900. I want to convert into a streetfighter style like is coommon in europe. I was wondering how hard it would be to put like an 04 zx10 tail on it and maybe add like a streetfighter headlight. The options are endless im pretty good with a welder and am used to doing alot of modifications to metal etc. I'm wondering if anyone makes streetfighr style parts and how hard it would be to convert the tail and maybe adda hugger any help would be appreciated. thanks
Hi,

I'm a GPZ 900 1984 owner and for racing i'm modifying some thinhs, one of them is the tail. To fit a ZX 10 tail you will have to modify the rear section of the chassi.
To fit hanlde bars you can search on the internet and already exists some good material to convert racing / street fighter.
There aint much more that i can help you but this is a start!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Anytime..... The Germans and Japanese have way better info on our bike, but thats because it is or was still in production. Japanese bike will end its reign this year I believe in 2004 vs our measily 3 year existence. Just goes to show you that the one that started it all still is alive and kicking!

·
Registered
191 Posts
the biggest thing your gonna notice with a different tail is it wont look right. You have to find something that compliments the lines of your bikes not like these guys who all put ducati 916 tails on their bikes. make sure it looks good. newer tail sections look stupid with skinny rear tires under them. If you are good at welding and fabbing metal you shouldnt have a problem just making simple brackets to bolt a tail on. the cheapest ive found handle bar clamps is $60 through dennis kirk. I made a set out of some aluminum scrap laying around. if youve got a few tools it can be done. First i would pull off your upper and mid fairing, leave the lower or some of it and find a new headlight unit. youd be surprised how good it will look. those bulky square headlights and big upper fairing dont match the bike at all. One of the first things i did to my gpz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh thanx i think im gonna strip everything off and try for a new fork spring combination in order to fit a bigger tire. Then im gonna fabricate the brackets for a newer looking tail and prob only use the lower fairing or make one of my own to cover the bottom. then maybe add a headlight fairing or a naked headlight. thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts