Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody Im new to the board thanks for having me.

Well okay here goes.

Bike is a 1987 Kawasaki Ninja 600R I picked it up today from some yahoo for 500 this guy decided he was going to change the head gasket. The Bike ran before he changed the gasket and doesnt run now, It turns over fine meaning it turns over clean and with the right sound doesnt sound slow when it cranks. My question is how do I set the timing on this bike? The guy I bought it from said something about the spark being pink and not blue from the coil too. If that makes any sense to anyone. I have some good mechanical knowledge but it all involves cars havent done allot with bikes yet except riding them. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

My other bikes are a 80 Suzuki GS750 16 valve And 97 Honda Magna VF750 This is my first Sport Bike. Well the Magna is supposed to be a Sport Cruiser but you know what I mean. LOL

Thanks In Advance

Troy

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If it ran before the head gasket was replaced I would check to make sure he got the cam to crankshaft timing correct. You will need a service manual for that. If the spark is not blue I would check the coil input voltage and if that was OK then I'd try a new set of plugs and wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Here goes on closer inspection I noticed that the Exhaust Cam was on the intake side and the intake cam on the exhaust side can you say some people should never crack open a bike. So since I dont have a manual and it will take 10 days to get one. I set the Number 1 to TDC pulled the cams and switched them I set the lobes over number one straight up away from the rockers for the compression stroke and there are lines on each sprocket that seem to be pointing straight up as well. I turned the crank a few revolutions by hand just to make sure nothing is binding or hitting and put the tensioner back on but it is not putting any tension on the chain now. Is there something I have to do with the automatic tensioner or is it broken? How do I know for sure everything is set right before a Button everything up and start it?

Thanks in advance for your reply and hope you had a great 4th

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh And BTW I pulled the plugs and there was almost no gap but there was just a little soot normal wear. So I cleaned and regapped and nice bright blue spark now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already rotated the crank by hand around 10 revolutions and haven't had anything bind up moves around nice and smooth and have watched each valve get pushed down and open. when I had the cams set wrong before it would bind and I wouldn't push the issue and would go back and start over again. You mean there is a chance that it could bind up from the starter even though it's not binding up when I crank it by hand? Im not being a wise guy Im really not sure and am now concerned. Also the tensioner is working now I just had to rotate the crank a few times to get it to set up. So I will be waiting for a reply to find out before I go and button everything up. Dont want to total the head.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now I was worried so just in case I pulled the head to check the valves they are all straight and actually pretty clean so are the piston tops 17K on the bike and I can still see metal on the piston tops. :) Good thing I tore it down though the timing chain wasnt sitting on the crank sprocket right so I got it on there correctly now I think and I am going to start the reassembly today. Or dont know maybe I will just part it out and stick to my cruisers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ended up trading the Ninja still not running yet for a Great running 1975 Honda CB 750 that is remarkably clean for its 33 years has 48K on the bike but also had a fresh rebuild last year.

So thanks everybody for your help with the Ninja.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts