Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

I have a 1987 ninja 750r and i've been having a lot of porblems with it and i cant figure out some of them. I have a hard time starting it and it wont start after i run it for about 10 - 15 minutes I've read that this problem might be because of the battery but i just wanted another opinion on it before I get another battery. Also just recently i noticed that it was slowly leaking oil and it was running down the kick stand i havent had much time to inspect it but i think its comming from the engine. If anyone has had this problem or know if it is common i'd greatly appreciate some or any feed back.

THanks alot by the way this is a great forum

·
Registered
607 Posts
The oil leaking down your kickstand ~may~ simply be chain lube. That drive sprocket is a favorite collection spot for excess chainlube on all chain-driven bikes.
If your oil level isn't going down, then that is probably what it is. Look around your shifter. Is there any oil coming out of the shift-shaft seal? That's a possibility.
How old is the battery? If it's more than 3 years old, you might as well replace it anyway.
If it's younger, what do you mean when you say you're running it for 10-15 minutes? Running like riding at freeway speed or idling in the garage with the choke on?
Let us know.
-CCinC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im idling it in my garage and the battery is old. My neighbour stored the bike for 2 years and i have no clue when he replaced the battery but im pretty sure its more then 3 years old. The engine oil level hasnt changed. THe leak just stopped about a week ago so im thinking it maybe just excess chain lube like you said. I've never worked on a bike until now so i'f i miss something just tell me.

So do u think that idling the bike for so long could have an affect on it not starting after. If i leave the bike for a while and it cools down it will start up.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Freshjive,

Weclome to the forum...You came to the right place for answers. I have an older bike also. I had a very small leak coming from somewhere on the engine. My mechanic told me to keep and eye on the oil levels and run the bike for a while. It did seal up by itself after breaking it in again. Also check and make sure the carbs are cleaned and tuned properly. If it has been sitting for a long time there could be dirt in the tank and carbs.

Heather

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im cleaning out the carbs now and the gas tank has been cleaned out fully. Just some more information about when i tried starting the bike. i was working on it during the summer and it wouldn;t start so it has nothing to do with the cold weather. Its just that i've been busy and only recently got back to thinking about fixing it.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
When your finished putting it back together....try adding some SeaFoam to the fuel. One ounce per gallon of fuel and it can also aid in smoother running engine by cleaning things internally. Just a thought.

I love that SeaFoam! :)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
when you say it wont start do you mean it wont turn over (crank the engine) or do you mean it cranks just fine but wont fire/run ?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
While I don't advocate doing this for everyone.....I have done it myself.

I'll pull the plugs out and heat them up with a lighter to get them warm.....and if I'm in doubt about fuel getting into the cyliders I use a syringe and squirt a little fuel into the cyliders before putting the warmed up plugs back in. Once the plugs are in I try and crank it up.....sometimes I get lucky and the engine fires right up. If it's a fuel flow issue of course you'll need to dig deeper as the fuel you just put into the cylinders will burn off and the engine will die. I even do this on my lawn mower at times...usually just before I'll need to do a complete maintenance on it. It's one method of finding out if the engine will fire and then you can begin to rule out other possibilities. Just be careful working with raw fuel...etc.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i would put a meter on your battery at rest (bike NOT running=12v+)
then watch it when you crank it over (10v+ not less, if it drops to 6/7/8v or less then the battery is not able to handle the load and should be replaced)
check it with bike running at IDLE (12v+)
check bike at 3,000RPM (13v+)
does the bike act like a dead battery when you crank it over or does it crank over nice and fast (for atleast 30seconds +) ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya the battery is dead for sure. When i was starting it up i had to hook up my charger to the battery to get it to start. Im gonna buy a repari manual for it and jus check over all the wiring im pretty sure its something electrical.
I'm thinking that when the metal heats up theres a bad connection somewhere, because the bike will start if its cooled down it just doesnt want to start after it has been running. I was wondering which type of repair manual to get. Is haynes any good or are there ne better ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts