Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this atv and seller reports it won't stay in gear after it warms up. Works fine when cold. Any ideas? Seller is asking $550. Run away?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Most often it is the 6mm bolt that holds the big 38mm washer on top of the change drum cam to keep it tight. But, it can be bent or broken shift forks or even bad transmission gears.

Rarely it can be the clutch getting warm and slipping, but that has distinct symptoms that could not be confused with staying in gear. When the clutch starts slipping like that, they start getting mushy and slowing down, then stop and the engine runs. No gear clang or racking noises.

I would offer $100-$300 if it runs good otherwise and is really sharp, then risk spending anywhere from a few hours time to open it up and tighten the change drum cam bolt, to $400 in parts, plus a few more hours time rebuilding the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks! Sounds reasonable. Another question. How does the Bayou compare to the Lakota? I have a 2001 Lakota 300 sport and it suits me fine. I need another one for my wife and Lakotas are not real easy to find around here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts