Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
88 Mule 1000 KAF450
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn key to start & you hear metallic/grinding/spinning noises. It's not actually firing up/starting,but you hear it turning over, hard to pin point source of noise but it's definitely coming from side cover on motor behind driver seat. Have to take water pump & side cover off the be able to replace starter. Took starter off & ran it seemed ok, the chain it drives & the gears the chain rides on all look ok. I even bought a tool to remove drum (Flywheel) to get to one way clutch. Visually it looked ok and found a test to run -it spins one way and won't spin the other, so that's good - . Next I guessed & bought a new starter, installed it but for nothing. Nothing changed with a new starter installed. Lost now, don't know what to do next.. Help PLease. I took my video camera to record the noise but I can't figure out how to get it loaded to my post...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Either starter clutch or the starter limiter. Neither are available from kawasaki. Discontinued/NLA. I have one too, same issues, no parts available to fix and no aftermarket option to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Either starter clutch or the starter limiter. Neither are available from kawasaki. Discontinued/NLA. I have one too, same issues, no parts available to fix and no aftermarket option to my knowledge.
Hmm, joined up today to ask a few questions about a well maintained but non running 1994 Mule 1000 I bought recently.
Owner accidentally charged battery on 24V setting and must have roasted the reg/rectifier and the CDI.
I can get the CDI rebuilt (already boxed up ready to ship) and the regulator is still available but,

1) are there a lot of parts like the starter and/or one way starter drive that are NLA...?
2) am I better off parting the running gear and doing an engine swap..?

Would be ashamed, machine only has 1900 mi.

·
Registered
955 Posts
yeah there are a LOT of parts that are NLA.

My friend has one, owned it since 1988 (new) and uses it daily running around. I've done the maintenance since day one, and repairs. Over 100,000 miles on it and it's time. The starter clutch is shot, 90% of the time it will not start. When it does, it burns a lot of oil (keeps the skeeters down). There are so many things that it needs now, that are NLA, that it makes no sense to try to source any used parts to repair it. It's honestly time to retire it. He's certainly got his money's worth out of it.

Starter clutch, limiter, flywheel/rotor, water pump parts, water pump gasket, camshaft, carbs, IRS parts, a lot of the transmission stuff (clutch, clutch parts, etc) and a ton of other parts, all NLA. Even some of the Mule 2510/2500 parts are NLA and they really don't seem that old. I still see them at the shop somewhat often.

What is odd, to me, is how Kawasaki made any money on the KAF450 (mule 1000)? I mean look at the engine. Dual overhead cam, 8 valve, basically a detuned top half of a LTD454, with a bottom half that is specific to the Mule 1000. There are a TON of parts, much more complex than the Mule 2000/2010 was. I cant' see how they made any money with them. Maybe they didn't, which might explain why they were 1 year model only. 89 bought the KAF540 (Mule 2000/2010) which was an air cooled FC540 engine, basically an industrial engine, which had torque--something that the Mule 1000 never had much of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I cranked the engine to chk starter, seems good.
A friend who has 50 years working on bikes/atvs is drawing me a schematic t convert the Mule to CDI and reg/rectifier from a Kawasaki Bayou ATV.
Gonna convert the pulse fired fuel pump with vacuum type pump.

Will report back.

·
Registered
955 Posts
be careful with it.

the CDI controls ignition advance

if the advance is wrong, it can cause all sorts of problems. Hard starting burned parts, broken parts, etc.

the pump can be run direct from the OE wiring harness, using an el cheapo chinese electric pump, works fine.

There may not be enough pulse from the engine to run the little vacuum pulse pump, and may not be enough volume. With twin carbs and 454cc, it likes a lot of fuel. Try it and see if it works

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello new to mule

Can the 440 be replaced with a different motor? Finding it difficult to find rebuild kits for carb, nerf bars pads, etc parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I cranked the engine to chk starter, seems good.
A friend who has 50 years working on bikes/atvs is drawing me a schematic t convert the Mule to CDI and reg/rectifier from a Kawasaki Bayou ATV.
Gonna convert the pulse fired fuel pump with vacuum type pump.

Will report back.
@Turbo_T1 , did you ever get anywhere on the CDI / regulator conversion? I need one badly!!! also see my last post on Indians thread here for exactly wht vacuum pump to use. Works like a champ for me, hasnt missed a beat! should have come this way from the factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts