Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I pretty new in this forum and hope I'm not doing anything I shouldn't as far as forum policies are concerned. There is such a wealth of information here from very knowledgable people. Thanks to all!

Now to my problem. I have a 1988 mule that the starter quit working - power to it but won't spin. I found a service manual online which explained starter removal which I did. When I slipped the starter out, the sprocket fell down in the cover about a half inch. The installation procedure says to oil the "O" ring and install the starter! Nothing mentioned about how to get the sprocket back up to allign with the starter splines. I'm sure I'm not the first to try putting the starter back in a mule so I was hoping for some insight into how. Thanks a million for your help!

By the way, the starter issue was worn brushes. Brush plate available on eBay and is on the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone figured this out? I have the same issue. There has got to be some way to hold the top sprocket up in order to the starter back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone figured this out? I have the same issue. There has got to be some way to hold the top sprocket up in order to the starter back in.
Unfortunately I don't think there is. I ordered a water pump rebuild kit from eBay because it had both gaskets and wanted to flush the cooling and check the pump. The guy I ordered from said the only way was to remove the pump and stator cover. He warned me to be very careful with the stator and trigger wires as they get brittle with age. There is oil behind the stator cover so you may want to drain first. Makes a big mess - trust me. You'll obviously need to drain the cooling system as well. All of this is doable but take your time. I used a thin layer of Permatex black on the gaskets. Someone had been into mine before and used blue RTV which squished out all inside the pump. I stress using a thin layer. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I don't think there is. I ordered a water pump rebuild kit from eBay because it had both gaskets and wanted to flush the cooling and check the pump. The guy I ordered from said the only way was to remove the pump and stator cover. He warned me to be very careful with the stator and trigger wires as they get brittle with age. There is oil behind the stator cover so you may want to drain first. Makes a big mess - trust me. You'll obviously need to drain the cooling system as well. All of this is doable but take your time. I used a thin layer of Permatex black on the gaskets. Someone had been into mine before and used blue RTV which squished out all inside the pump. I stress using a thin layer. Good luck.

Did you get your starter back in? I even tried using a big magnet to try to lift the sprocket. Didn't work. Maybe you have a bigger magnet!

This may not be the place to ask but I'm going to anyway. I'm assuming you have an '88 Mule. I've never had my radiator fan come on. The fan works because someone installed a bypass switch so I assumed the temperature switch was bad. I replaced it when I did the flush/refill but it still doesn't come on. I heated the old switch with a propane torch and it did close but I have no idea at what temp. I've not seen the overtemp light come on. I'm curious what you have seen with your fan. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts