Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a restore on a new to me 1989 KX 125, well, maybe not a restore, as I want to be able to ride the stuffing out of it. I want to build the bike I want to ride. But, this is were it starts. I also have an on going blog story at kxproject.blogspot.com.

This is how I took delivery of the machine, ah, but it does run.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like fun. I picked up a similar situation: 1986 KX125 (for $60) on Craigslist. I watched it for almost 30 days and then pulled the trigger. It's #5 in my garage now and my wife said "if a new one comes in, one's gotta go out". That did not quite work out. This bike has not run for almost 15 years and was a complete bucket of parts and many missing items. It looked interesting to me as I never worked on a bike with a power valve and nikasil plating. I go it going after about 30 days and $200 bucks latter.

I'll be following your blog..

Did the Mothers polish bring those aluminum bars back like that? I have the same problem with an old RM100 I'm working on right now...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Polish

Yes, the Mothers works great. I have been using that stuff for years on assorted projects. The whole process of stripping, all the way to polished took about an hour. Oh yeah, you must also get a bucket of elbow grease for the sanding bit, and with the Mothers there is no need to grit your teeth and buff till you puff. It is almost a wipe on wipe off job.

The blog usually gets an update once a week, I need to be more on top of it, but I would rather spend my time fixin' than writin', stay tuned none the less.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, the Mothers works great. I have been using that stuff for years on assorted projects. The whole process of stripping, all the way to polished took about an hour. Oh yeah, you must also get a bucket of elbow grease for the sanding bit, and with the Mothers there is no need to grit your teeth and buff till you puff. It is almost a wipe on wipe off job.

The blog usually gets an update once a week, I need to be more on top of it, but I would rather spend my time fixin' than writin', stay tuned none the less.

After seeing your pics, two aspects come to my mind for sure, by the time you resurrect that bike to clean condition, you will be mechanically KX wiser, and you will be $$ broke. Welcome to the fufilling, but expensive world of restoring a beat to death KX....

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Wow. That bike is in BAD shape. Congratulations on taking on the project. Have fun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In over my head?

Na, I've been doing this for over twenty years, building bikes that is. Been a pit mechanic on the AMA Road Race circuit. I even manufacture some of my own parts. I try to DIY whenever I can, yes I will spend some money, but a lot less than most people think. I am keeping a running tab. Just for example, have you ever used S100 or Muc-off, Pricey. At Dollar Tree I pickup LAs Awesome cleaner for a buck. Does the same job as the others at a huge savings (works great!). I can ramble on and on. Feel free to question, and I am always open to any tips and tricks anyone else has to offer, that is how we all learn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Na, I've been doing this for over twenty years, building bikes that is. Been a pit mechanic on the AMA Road Race circuit. I even manufacture some of my own parts. I try to DIY whenever I can, yes I will spend some money, but a lot less than most people think. I am keeping a running tab. Just for example, have you ever used S100 or Muc-off, Pricey. At Dollar Tree I pickup LAs Awesome cleaner for a buck. Does the same job as the others at a huge savings (works great!). I can ramble on and on. Feel free to question, and I am always open to any tips and tricks anyone else has to offer, that is how we all learn.
OK, then you will just be broke ! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broke

I can't go broke, I've two projects after this one. A quad for my wife, and a Virago bobber. Donations accepted.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I can't go broke, I've two projects after this one. .
I've been telling myself this for the last 31 years. Now that i'm too old and beat to race motocross anymore, I buy bikes, restore them and tell myself I will sell them someday....

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's funny (Awsome at the Dollar store). I've used the stuff for years on my bikes, snowmobiles and car. takes off the grease and grime as well as the more expensive stuff. Just watch out for the cheap spray bottles that the stuff comes in. Good tip for all...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back at it

The weekend is here, time to get back at it with gusto. Should have a new blog post Sat or Sun night.

·
1,975 Posts
JUST IN CASE:

I was in no way, shape or form being negative or discouraging. I strongly encourage you to go for it. I JUST went to the blog of the rebuild and have not yet read it. That looks great!!

I have way too many projects going on, so I would not be the one to discourage someone else from starting such a project. I think the '89 KX125's are very cool, being the last year of the single radiator, pre-perimeter frame, from the '80's in general :), etc.!

Click on this link to read his rebuild blog.

The KX Project

·
Registered
67 Posts
I should post up my pics of my basement with a Suzuki in piles (management may not like the yellow colour however)....I gotta 1979 RM with every piece removed except a grounding wire. In the process of stripping the frame now and waiting on the BikeBandit and ebay delivery's to go in reverse. I just finished up on a Hodaka Dirt Squirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Color Blind

I am color blind when it comes to bikes, so I would love to see your RM project. In fact my favorite road bike is my GSXR 1100.

Been doing a lot of refurbish this week, seat, front axle, airbox, etc....

Also been out trying to find a good KX frame paint. PJ1 quit making it and color rite thinks their paint is made of unobtainium. later....

·
1,975 Posts
When it comes to colorrite vs. PJ1, you get what you pay for. Try to go with automotive paint if you don't want to spend what it takes on colorrite.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had my best luck with Rattle-can Duplicolor 500 paint. It's marketed for automotive engines, engine parts, manifolds etc., I find its pretty gasoline-proof, has a very quick drying time and actually looks good. Runs about $6.00 a can and is available at Advanced Auto Parts stores.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
painted lady

I've had my eye on that Duplicolor grabber green engine paint for awhile. On my Sunday drive about I picked up a can just to see. Will do a write up on the blog when it comes time. (Gonna do a test run on color compatibility first).

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a lovely bike! I have very fond memories of my '89 kx125 - easily my favourite bike that i've owned. Very quick, even by todays standards I think.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts