Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much going to buy this zx, with 64k miles. Driving it is just the best. The only thing, and I mean the only thing is the shifty is on the clunky side. Petty much all up and down the gears. It's not as loud as a Harley by any means. I want the bike for a couple of years, and does anyone know if it's just the arms or the gears? I don't want to spend 2 grand rebuilding it, but, it's a question I have for anyone who can help. Thanks a mil

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,204 Posts
64k is ALOT of miles... (except if its a bmw sofa) but with that kinda mileage it could be clutch basket damper ,chain/sprockets, worn trans gears, chain out of adjust, worn out chain, unlubed chain, worn cush drive in rear wheel, clutch needs adjusted, clunky/unsmooth rider, etc.... its a old bike w/ lots and lots of miles.. its not gonna be perfectly smooth....

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
What brand/grade/type of oil being used? The Shell Rotella oils seem to work well in the bike engines. Car oils have friction modifiers that can make shifting hard and clunky and do not work well in wet plate clutches.

I'd also avoid using any oil additives like Teflon/Moly as the clutch can slip.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,516 Posts
I'd recommend an oil change as well. The gearbox on my 90 seems to be really sensitive to what oil is in it.

Try using an MC specific oil, and see if that does the trick. If not, then start looking for other problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.