Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my first post here, I have an 1990 Ex 500 with 14727 miles I just bought. But for my question I do not think it will matter that I have no history of this bike. My first problem is the starter spins the sprocket behind the flywheel not engaging the motor. I pulled off the flywheel and all parts for the starter clutch appear to be fine. the springs, pins and rollers are all there and show no real signs of wear. The one way clutch sprocket seems in fine shape with no apparent signs of wear and fits snugly in the one way clutch. I do not mind buying whatever parts are needed but like anyone I do not want to buy unnecessary parts. is there an adjustment I'm not seeing? any help would be appreciated. Ok second question two of the magnets on the flywheel are loose but still intact, any ideas what to use to re secure? I know they are in oil it will have to be something that can stand up to that, but it will only need to keep them from sliding around as the magnet seems to hold itself to the flywheel. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I'd guess it's most likely the springs in the starter clutch. Not sure if you can buy just the springs for that model but a new clutch wouldn't be a bad idea. Never heard of anyone gluing a magnet back in. Mainly because every time I've heard of one coming lose, it was shattered by slinging around inside there. I'd be more inclined to intall a new rotor because if the magnet were to come off it might damage the stator which would cost a lot more to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stargate, the springs look in good shape but of course they could be weak. Kawasaki,com shows the springs as a separate part number so once upon a time you could get them separate and they are/were cheap at $2.46 each but may be hard to locate now that the bike is 19 years old. I will check out my local dealer. As for the flywheel I am sure you are right on the new one but they are $278 each, I will if I have to of course. It would make the decision much easier if they been tore up and they probably would have if the starter had worked the guy I got the bike from could not bump start it so it sat and luckily I tore into it as soon as I knew it ran. Thank you for your time to respond to my post

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Ok second question two of the magnets on the flywheel are loose but still intact, any ideas what to use to re secure? I know they are in oil it will have to be something that can stand up to that, but it will only need to keep them from sliding around as the magnet seems to hold itself to the flywheel. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.
Ive used JB-weld in the past to re-secure stator mags. you just have to make sure you ALL the oil off before you do it. and you have to make sure the magnet is pulled al the way in to the roter or it will hit the stator windings. I used a strip of aluminum and welding clamps to secure mine while the J-b weld set up (overnight) good luck its cheaper than buying one but can be more expensive if not done right:biggrin:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I also woulnd't invest the 278 for the rotor unless I had to. I'd surf ebay and the bike salvage yards till I found one.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Identifiying the worn parts on a starter clutch can be a tad tricky as usually nothing looks worn leaving you woundering what to replace.

I have found on more than one occasion the One Way Clutch Sprocket (A) to be the culprit.
You need to clean the nose on the Clutch Sprocket that sits inside the One Way Clutch Assembly (B) where the Rollers contact preferably with a solvent that will leave the nose clean of oil.

Then run you fingers very slowly and gentle around the nose section and see if you can feel TINY little flats around it.

I look away from the Sprocket when i'm doing this as it focuses your tactile response better because your not trying to see the flats at the same time.

You'd be supprised how these little flat portions allow the clutch to slip under load.. (Using the starter)

I usually replace the Sprocket One Way as well as the 3 Springs, Pins & Rollers.

The Magnets are a common problem with the EX500's and quite often fly off destroying the Rotor and associated parts causing $ damage.

IMHO i would replace the rotor as it could cost you in the long run.

Having said that other members have secured the magnets back with various potions :) and enjoy trouble free riding....Your decision :biggrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond to my post. Good news my son fond a parts bike on craig's list in Sacramento (only 40 mi away) and we have a whole new assembly on the bike that works. Now for what I found that may help some one the next time. The bushing on the one way sprocket had come loose and spun inside the sprocket. The new (used) one looks like it is welded and then ground or machined flat. Our old one had no signs of weld left and so the bushing locked in the one way clutch but did not hold the gear (gear spun on bushing). The sprocket we got with the new (old) assembly work great in our old one way clutch. Needles to say the magnets are secure in the one we picked up ( for $30) so we will use that one. Just need a new gasket now. As for the loose magnets in the old one I had thought of Jb weld as suggested but have never had much luck with it lasting. So I was thinking of using a product called marine tex. It is a lot the same (two part) and I have had good luck with it especially in oily conditions Patched a crank case cover on an old Z1 900 I had many moons ago and it is still holding in the bike today (I sold it to a friend) was a great bike except for the head shake at about buck 20 and the truck that ran me off the road (this is where the broken cover comes in) any way just wanted to update and say thank you to all. Maybe what I learned will help someone else get the right part they need

1 - 8 of 8 Posts