Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well I purchased my first bike and it is a 1990 Ninja 600R with 13000 miles on it. I paid 1100 for it because it has one problem and I would like to know if you guys would know an easy solution. Here is the problem

The odometer, RPM, and mileage gauge are not working. Could it be a fuse or something? Also could someone send me to a link where I can pick up a repair manual for this year and model?

THanks in advance,
Sam

·
Registered
140 Posts
The odometer is the "mileage guage". Do you mean the speedometer, tachometer (RPM guage) and odometer......basically all the guages? The speedo is cable driven on these bikes if I remember correctly. So you might be missing a cable....that would explain the odometer and speedometer. As for the tach.....it doesn't move at all? I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what to do save check the wiring but a good start would be to make sure your speedo cable is connected. If you want to test the speedo itself you can take off the gauge cluster and put an electric drill to the back of the speedo to rotate it and make sure it still works.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dr. Feelgood said:
If you want to test the speedo itself you can take off the gauge cluster and put an electric drill to the back of the speedo to rotate it and make sure it still works.
Yes, but don't do that for long. Just one quick spin to make sure it works. I've heard of people wrecking their speedometer that way. You very likely have a broken or unscrewed cable on the back of the speedometer. That will explain the speedometer and odometer problem.

I'm not sure about the tach. It's not as important, so you can take some time figuring that one out. Maybe a fuse will fix it.
Curt

·
Registered
605 Posts
he posted this in a few sections, I already told him how to fix it :)

No more explanations needed

·
Registered
140 Posts
post a link to the other section where its answered just for future reference in case someone comes across this in a search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts