Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to find my first bike and I have the chance to get a 1990 zx600c bike for $900. The guy said that the bike has been sitting in his garage for a few years and that it needs a tune up and carb cleaning. He also said that it runs fine only at full choke and has about 27k miles. Overall, the bike seems to be in great shape and doesnt seem to have been layed down.

My question is, would it be worth it to purchase this bike and would a tune up make this bike run well? I am not too familar with bikes yet so i want to know what other problems might be wrong with this bike (according to what he described).

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if the bike is clean and not all beat up thats a fair price. i would prob. buy it. :wink:
things ya gotta watch for on bikes that have sat are
1.rusty tank inside
2. clogged carbs
3. rotted/cracked rubber lines
4. rotted/crached tires
5. rodent nests in air box
6. leaky gaskets once the bike it run and gets hot
7. rusty chain
8. all fluids will need replaced
etc...
if you think you can make the bike road worthy and not screw things up worse then go for it. get a service manual for the bike and start READING.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
you could probably get a little newer bike for a little bit more money, depending on your budget. see if he will take 800 cash. that gives you an extra hundred for repair

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks guys for the help. one more question, i know its all based on situation but what would you say is the average price to have a bike get a full tune up and matinence?

ive been looking for older bikes since i will probably drop it and i dont want anything new. knowing the price for a tune-up will definitely help me decide how much to spend on an older bike.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you get the service manual and possibly a Haynes or Clymer manual for your bike you can put that money to tune it up into your tool fund. It's your comfort level. I think you would be able to do everything on your bike and maybe hesitant to do the valves.

You'll learn way more doing your own maintenance then paying someone for it, but just to get it going a couple of hundred bucks would be well spent for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yah i do plan on doing my own work. but since it would be my first bike, id rather have a pro make sure its safe for riding before i start tinkering with things :shock:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sounds safe. At least you'll have a good starting point to work forward instead of trying to make everything work on your own. Post up questions as you have them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just gotta 90 zx600 in almost the same condition. 900 plus 3 or 400 to get the carbs cleaned/rebuilt and a good tuneup. same price as a new moped but a lot faster. very fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do it yourself and you'll be suprised how much you could save. My dad had his 83 carbs serviced once :roll: and it set him back 50.00, just to clean the carbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my bike i just got has the same problem, been sitting since may and only runs with the choke on it... paid $400 and has 8900 miles on it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts