Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 ZX6D with a recent starting problem. When the bike is cold it has no problems starting. Upon trying to restart the bike after it has been ridden for a while (engine is warmed up), it will not start. Finally the battery goes dead and I have to push start it. If I shut it off (after push starting it) and restart immediately, it restarts right away. The bike's tendency not to start occurs after it has been sitting for 10-15 minutes, if I wait longer (1 hour or so) it starts no problem. My conclusions are that it may be a faulty starter (perhaps it is draining more power when the bike is warm) or a fuel pump/fuel pump relay (but after looking thru the manual I'm not sure it even has a fuel pump/relay; does it?). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's no fuel pump on that bike.
Are you using the choke trying to start it when it’s warm? If so, this is the problem, you should not. Also, do not pull the throttle, this will only flood your engine with gas. If you do it anyway, do it very gently and only once(some times actually helps doing this).

·
Registered
40 Posts
ever figure it out?

I'm having a similar problem with this. Bike starts great in the morning. Ride it to work...15-20 mins. Shut it off....won't restart(behaves as if the battery is dead even if it is just coming off a full charge and new electrolyte). Got into work for a few hours, come out and bike starts right up. Ride it home, shut if off...no restart. Any ideas? Same bike...'90 ZX6D.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should mention that the bike will jump start just fine when warm. I followed the manual and checked to see if the charging system was working with it running, and it seemed to be functioning correctly. I can't remember the exact numbers(did this a long time ago), but I believe it was right around 14V. Any Ideas?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
take the battery to a bike/car shop and have them load test it. check the voltage of the battery once its hot and wont start. should still be 12v +

·
Registered
435 Posts
First off, possible that it's flooding when it sits a while. Maybe a bad float valve? My old EX500 used to do that on hot days.

As far as the dead battery symptom, I had exactly the same problem with my ZX10. Turns out to be a leaking float valve. After I shut it down, it would flood... I mean TOTALLY load the #2 cylinder with gas and the motor would hydrolock. After a while the gas would make its way into the crankcase and the engine would start fine. Took a while to determine that one.

Anyway, in both cases I'd try shutting the gas valve off when you park it. See if it makes any difference in how it starts. If not... never mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts