Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this bike off a guy a little while ago. Well, the problem is, it stalls after about a 5-10 minute ride. It's kinda like what a car does when the temp sensor goes bad. The computer thinks the car is overheating, so it stalls out. Could that be what's going on...or has anyone else experienced this. Take it easy on me...this is my first bike...and I'm learning about them as I go. Thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
well gonna have to go thru all the NORMAL items. make sure you have GAS,AIR,SPARK, when this happens you need to check for those THREE THINGS. once you figure out what your not getting then you can start looking harder at that area.
to me it sounds like your loosing spark.
good luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Has the bike been sitting? Is the gas new or stale? When was the last maintenance?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, when it first did it, I change the gas, tested. Then when it did it again, I pulled the plugs...3 were pretty black! Replaced them, tested again. Changing the plugs fixed a starting problem that i had, but it still stalls out as soon as I make it back to my gate from riding around the block.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just read another post regardin someone else's bike, and he had in parentheses "(And yes, the fuel was turned on!)" That made be think about my problem. When I removed my gas tank, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the fuel valve. The manual says to turn it off, but doesn't tell me how. The fuel shutoff valve has what looks like a brass "thumbtack" pin in it. I didn't see a dial or knob of any sort, so I just pushed away on the spring loaded "thumbtack." Could this be my problem? If it is, then I don't understand how it starts up at all after stalling. With that...how the h*ll do I shut off the fuel?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
canigetin said:
I just read another post regardin someone else's bike, and he had in parentheses "(And yes, the fuel was turned on!)" That made be think about my problem. When I removed my gas tank, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the fuel valve. The manual says to turn it off, but doesn't tell me how. The fuel shutoff valve has what looks like a brass "thumbtack" pin in it. I didn't see a dial or knob of any sort, so I just pushed away on the spring loaded "thumbtack." Could this be my problem? If it is, then I don't understand how it starts up at all after stalling. With that...how the h*ll do I shut off the fuel?
you really need to get a manual so you can understand what parts your messing with. i have no idea what part you pushed on. there should have been a knob tht says "ON" "RES" "PRIME" put the knob on "ON" and you wont have gas pouring out. im pretty sure your bike has a VACUMN operated petcock (meaning gas is only flowing when the engine is running) if you put it on PRIME then its open all the time and you will have gas coming out when you pull the fuel line off. if you can send me a pic of this THUMBTACK part you played with i can give you a better answer. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Without seeing.....Pure guess

Petcock was probably on reserve and there is a blockage. The float bowls would fill back up and he can fire uit up again. Ride it and run out of fuel. Stop and do it again. This can also happen in run as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I DO have the manual. I wouldn't go pulling things apart without one. At any rate, my model does NOT seem to have a dial. It is only the "thumbtack" that I was talking about. The ZX6E model does, however. I see in the manual, "ON" "OFF" on the dial, but it is on the newer model. The exploded view of the gas tank assembly does NOT have a dial on it. Here's a pic of my valve. If anyone needs a pic of the exploded view, let me know. Thanks for the replies!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
now thats some funky crap there !! :shock: is that the PETCOCK ON YOUR BIKE :?: :?: so what does the manual say about pulling the tank etc. ?
im not positive but does your bike have an electric fuel pump ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now, you see what I mean?? In any case, here is the diagram of the fuel tank assembly. The manual says to turn the fuel shutoff valve to "OFF". And all the usual stuff, vacuum lines, electrical connector, etc. My bike doesn't have a fuel pump.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ok, looked at pics. still pretty crazy setup since there in no "NORMAL" knob to turn on the petcock.
but it does have "PRIME" which whould be straight up. is there a mark/arrow on the brass knob that you turn to tell you which way its turned. it looks to be VACUMN operated so if you have it on any position other than PRIME then you will have fuel ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, i would try running it in all 3 positions and check the rubber line that attaches to it for holes,cracks etc. if your not get vacumn to it then it wont work correctly. try it on prime first to see if your problem persists. if your carbs are working correctly you can leave it on prime without a problem but i wouldnt do that just in case :roll: put it on prime and go ride the bike then switch to another position.
good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I thought it was crazy too...especially since the manual says to turn it to off, without telling you how! Nope, there is no mark indicating which way it is turned. I've tried turning it every way short of breaking it! Today, instead of taking the bike for a ride(It always dies at the gate and I have to push it to the garage, or sit there like an idiot trying to keep it running) I just let it run while sitting. And sure enough after about 10 minutes...it died again. Since this is my first bike, I don't know how much heat is supposed to be rising from the front of the bike, but it's pretty warm. The front inside placstics are missing, so the heat is free to come up and out. When is the cooling fan "expected" to come on? Think the bike could be running hot? This stalling behavior is kinda like what I see in an overheating car...or a car theat "Thinks" it is overheating. What I mean is, first the is hesitation with the throttle, then a kind of sputtering, then finally some wierd noise, the die. Like a car, if you wait a while, say 15 or 20 mins., the engine starts back up fine and you're off. That is, until the next stalling session. :x I would take the bike to a shop, but for one, I'd miss out on the learning, and most imprtantly, I think it would dies before I make it there! Any more suggestions?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
like i said above you need to check for spark when this happens RIGHT AWAY. if you do not have spark at ANY of the plugs then i think your PICK UP COIL is going OPEN on ya OR a wire it getting hot somewhere and going OPEN (means its loosing the connection to carry power)

·
Registered
1 Posts
ZX6 stalling

I have a 90' zx6d and did have some problems with overheating. I replaced the temp sensor on the radiator and the themostat. The fan on the radiator should come on quite often, especially in warmer weather and street speeds :( as opposed to freeway speeds :twisted:

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Scary Harry said:
Could it be a weak coil ?, IE: barely functions when cold and fails when heated.
i highly doubt it for the fact that he doesnt run it long enough to get HOT and the bike is shutting off. he would have to have the 1 in a billion chance that both coils are failing at the exact same time. now his PICKUP COIL could be going OPEN in that amount of time since its under the stator cover and right on the engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts